FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRC Deploy LabView code to CRio Help

Hi.  I'm new to LabView and FRC this year.

I am having an issue with deploying code to our CRio.  We have a driver station computer, and a development computer.  Once I deploy code to the CRio by builidng the LabView project and setting it as "Run at Startup", if I want to make any changes again, I cannot deploy the changes.  It hangs when attempting to comunicate with the CRio.   It seems to blank the code in the CRio because it will no longer power up and run, but I can never talk to it again.  I have to reformat the CRio almost every time.  It has worked about 3 times total out of 30 tries. 

Is there a procedure for how to deploy, set as startup, unset as startup, redeploy etc?  Help please...

-Terry

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,514 Views)

Seems likely that there's a bug in your code, possibly an endless loop running as fast as possible that is consuming all the processor time and preventing it from communicating. Instead of reformatting the cRIO, if you set the DIP switch to disable the startup application and reset the cRIO, are you able to communicate with it? Are there any loops in your code that run without any sort of wait or other timing structure inside them? Does it do this only when running your code, or also with a default robot project (a new project from the template with nothing added)?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,852 Views)

Sounds like the symptoms we fixed in the FRC LabVIEW 5.1 update.  Install the latest LabVIEW update http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2261/lang/en.  A temporary work around is to close the dashboard before deploying a new application

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,852 Views)

I will try commenting out a bunch of code in the morning and see what happens.  thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,852 Views)

Kevin_F-  I am 90% sure that we have done this already because I have seen this issue listed as a problem, and I have updated LabView just recently.  I also made sure the Dashboard was closed because of this issue.   I will check the version though.  And try the above solution to see what happens.

Thanks.

-Terry

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,852 Views)

Terry - please try these steps and let us know if they work:

1. Do your initial build and "Run as startup" - The Driver Station should show Communications and Robot Code LEDs lit.

2. Close Robot Main.vi (but not the project).

3. Right-click on "RT CompactRIO Target" and choose Connect.  At the Conflict Resolution dialog press OK.

4. Once connected, reopen Robot Main.vi and press the Run button.

Also, to see if you have the latest FRC LabVIEW update, from a LabVIEW panel you can press Help>>About FIRST Robotics Competition Software...  This will bring up a dialog.  The latest version as of today is 5.1.0

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,852 Views)

Doug-

Thanks for this.  Sorry it took so long to get back on it.  Competitions, follow up and trying to get back to normalcy. 

This worked perfectly. 

My procedures became:

If I want to just deploy changes that will run at startup:

1-right click on the "RT CompactRIO Target" and click connect. 

2-OK the conflict resolution dialog.

3-Build the code.

4-Set the code as run at startup.

If I want to run the code and debug it.

1-right click on the "RT CompactRIO Target" and click connect. 

2-OK the conflict resolution dialog.

3-Open robot main

4-Click run.

This was a real help.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,852 Views)