FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get past the watchdog

I have been trying to follow several tutorials for programming in labview both from the labview programming guide and from VImastery.  I seem to do everything correctly but when I try to run the program (enable it I think is the correct term) the program does not work and on the Driver Station under system I get "Watchdog" which I interpret to mean that the watchdog (what a clever name) needs to be "fed" or some such action.  Unfortunately, nowhere in any of the literature that I have given up my christmas vacation to slave over is there any (comprehensible) instruction as how to deal with this problem.   You can probably tell from my adherence to correctly spelling words that I am not much of a tech geek or programmer so if you can give me some advice that is discernible by a mere human I would appreciate it.

Merry Christmas

(Usfirst is getting coal from me)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,089 Views)

Hi Richard - is this message about the watchdog an indication that you've gotten past the previous problem deploying your code?

Have you tried the shipping FRC examples?  I don't have the toolkit installed on this computer so I can't check, but my recollection is that it demonstrates how to use the watchdog functions.

You also might find this document useful: An Overview of FRC Watchdogs

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,568 Views)

Thanks

Actually the entire problem of the deploy had to do with the watchdogs.  I hope to try your advice but my time is getting a bit limited with school starting back up right around the corner.  I may simply wait until kick off and see what the new stuff they foist on us looks like.  In all probability we will probably just revert back to wind river and a simple autonomous which seems a shame given how cool labview looks.

Since they had a program called "watchdog" maybe they could come up with one called "euthanasia" or the less harsh "rolled up newspaper" that would be an obvious program to tame the watchdog.  Even the mild "Easy Fido" would do.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,568 Views)