FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address on PC for LAN and Wireless Changes

When we follow the Getting Started with the 2013 FRC Control System document, we configure the pc's lan interface to the following:

IP Address: 10.12.34.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

We connect the cat 5 cable between the PC and the cRIO device, Run the image and partially through the imaging process (after detecting dip switch settings, etc..) we see

Waiting for FRC cRIO connection... (that's paraphrased).  The image never completes.  We then look at the PC's lan interface again and the IP address and subnet mask are back to:

IP Address: 10.12.34.5

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

So, again, we set it back to

IP Address: 10.12.34.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

And try again.  Sometimes it will work and we are able to image the cRIO, but then when we start communicating via the driver station program ( on the same PC), the lan interface will again go back to the 10.12.34.5 address and subnet mask after we enable the robot and work with it a little and then disable it.

Anyone else having this similar issue???

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(5,525 Views)

I suspect you may be running the Driver Station on that same PC and that it may be setting your NIC to dot 5.  To stop this, go to the Setup tab on the Driver Station, click the Choose NIC... button, and select "I will configure my wired network manually".  This will keep the Driver Station from changing your NIC address.

This will help if you want to have your development PC at dot 6. and then you want to connect the classmate (or another laptop) as your Driver Station at dot 5.  However, if for now you want to use one PC for development and as your Driver Station, you will want it set to dot 5.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,643 Views)

Hi Doug,

First, thanks for the reply!

Secondly, I will try your suggestion.  That maybe it, but I don't think we were running the driver station software while we were re-imaging the cRIO device.  Then again, that might be the case when your scratching your head and trying this and that for a few hours straight!

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,643 Views)