FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW FRC install Failure

It is fully installed in the Win 7 laptop, but it still will not install on Vista. It has the same errors as above for Realtime and NI-RIO.  Please let me know as soon as possible if you find a work-a-round.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 17
(840 Views)

I have stopped attempting to install LabVIEW FRC on the Vista computers - Something is wrong in the installation software.  I completely removed all NI software from the computer (through the add/remove software) and deleted the Key in regedit for NI Software, removed all DLLs referenced in the MAX report and removed all instances of objects related to NI-VISA and LabVIEW.  A search of the entire drive prior to my last install attempt came up with no files starting with NI, having visa in their name, any reference to LabVIEW, and all other files that might be related to the install.

I installed the 2011 LabVIEW software only.  I ran MAX (file attached) and it reported the presence if NI-VISA.  I then attempted to install the Realtime module and the installation failed stating an uncompatable version of NI-VISA had been installed and needed to be removed.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 17
(840 Views)

On Monday I intend to run a test on a Vista install that has never had any LabView software installed on it (reimage the computer with the original OS and update the OS with all the security updates/patches with no other software installed) to see if I can get a successful install on Vista.  I will let everyone know the outcome. 

Surely my school is not the only one running Vista 64.  I don't have the money to upgrade to Win 7 for all my lab computers, so I need to see if I can get it running on Vista.

If you look through the posts you can see what I've already tried.  I'm open to suggestions as to what to do next.

I would like to hear if anyone has successfully installed this year's FRC 2012 LabVIEW  on Vista 64 and how it was accomplished.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 17
(840 Views)

Another install option may be to install using Microsoft Virtual PC on your Vista Machines (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=4580). You can try installing for XP 32 bit. This is how I run the FRC software on my machine and works well.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 17
(840 Views)

So which download should I get (as the system is 64 bit) - the 64 bit or the 32 bit?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 17
(840 Views)

I believe you will want the 64 bit version

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 17
(840 Views)

After much consternation, I finally have a clean install of FRC2012.  It required that the harddrive be wiped and the OS to be reinstall to remove any and all references to any previous install of LabVIEW.  The uninstall program (from the controll panel) did not remove everything related to LabVIEW and as a result prohibited the FRC Install - all because of something called NI-VISA left behind from a previous LabVIEW install - mostlikely related to the FTC install or the NXT install.

To add an additional computer, I will have to use the same process.  If any of you out there have had the same issues with attempting to install FRC 2012 on Vista 64, you at least have a way to accomplish the install.  Not fun, but it works.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 17
(840 Views)