FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labtop ethernet connection to cRIO not functioning

I have a ZX-5501 'white box' from Fry's.  The internal NIC is a SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

I have connected to LAN's through the RJ-45 jacks countless times and never had any issue.  Currently it still works except when connected directly to the cRIO.

My issues are as follow:

1. When I use a regular cable (non-crossover) none of the cRIO lights respond. Unable to ping.
  2. When I use a Crossover cable the cRIO link light comes on but no activity.  Unable to ping.
  3. I am able to communicate through a router but the program reports a 'lost of link' intermittenly
  4. The cRIO works fine with other laptops we have tried.

Any suggestions on why this happening?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,989 Views)

Hello,

Is there any chance that you have a firewall enabled?

When you connect with a crossover cable, are you able to see the cRIO in the FRC cRIO Imaging Tool?  The Imaging Tool will check all subnets for a cRIO connected to the system.  However, you will not be able to ping the cRIO if you are in a different subnet.  In that case you need to set up your computer with a static IP address in order to communicate with the cRIO.  There are instructions in the Control Systems Manual on how to do this.

You need to set up the computer's network configuration as follows:
IP Address: 10.xx.yy.6 (where xxyy are the 4 digits in your team number)

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

Once you have verified this please post here if you are still unable to communicate.  I hope this helps!  Have a great day!

Thanks!

Bob H

NI FIRST Support

Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,600 Views)

Bob,

Should that subnet really be 255.0.0.0 or should it be 255.255.255.0 

I cannot configure the router to be at 255.0.0.0   It's just not possible on the control panel we have.  Shouldn't all subnets match?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,600 Views)

Turns out hitting the reset on the cRIO was the magic.  Once everything was powered up we simply hit the reset.  An image appeared on the

Driver Station and we can drive.  Yay!

Thank you NI help line for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,600 Views)