FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perhaps I have gone too far...

In an effort to fix things myself, I may have gone too far.

So, I had Demo Version LV 8.6 installed on my computer for training.  The training was done with Lego NXT toolkit and the patch.

FRC came along and the FRC LV version 8.5 was installed.

I am unable to run NXT because an error comes up that states that the .vi was created in a later version (8.6).

I have tried to fix the issue myself and this is where I may have gone too far.

I moved the NXT Toolbox items from 8.6 to 8.5 and mass compiled.

Well, some of the items work and some do not.  I was able to place a loop, boolean switch, and a chart from the NXT toolbox.  I was unable to place sound on the Block Diagram.  The error comes up mentioning the creation in a newer version.

Is there any hope in fixing this issue?

Should I uninstall and start over?

Please help...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,473 Views)

When you installed the NXT tools, which version of LabVIEW did you install with them?  If it was 8.6, there's no way to downgrade them to 8.5, but you should still have 8.6 installed on your machine and you can use that to do your NXT work; use 8.5 for editing FRC VIs.  Since some of the NXT VIs work it sounds like at some point you used some, but not all, of the NXT functions in a VI in LabVIEW 8.6, then saved that VI (and all its subVIs, including the NXT ones) in LabVIEW 8.6, thus causing the error you're now seeing in 8.5.  The VIs that you never used in 8.6 still work in 8.5 because they were never saved in the newer version.  If you have the NXT tools for LabVIEW 8.5 then you'll probably need to reinstall them, and if you're doing that then you should do a complete uninstall/reinstall in chronological order, starting with the oldest version first.  Mass-compiling doesn't downgrade VIs - the mass-compile process attempts to open each VI and if it can't (because, for example, the VI was saved in a newer version of LabVIEW) then it doesn't recompile that VI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,716 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

They were installed on version 8.6.  That was a trial/demo version and the trial time period has expired.  Sounds like I should uninstall everything and reinstall...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,716 Views)

To be clear, you only need to re-install the toolkit. You do not need to uninstall LabVIEW 8.5 or 8.6.

Joel Sumner
NI-Shanghai
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,716 Views)

So, are there any special proceedures for reinstalling the NXT Toolkit?  I tried and the setup application gave the following:

Mass Compile LabVIEW Toolkit for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT.

In order for this toolkit to perform efficiently, you need to mass compile the toolkit in the version of LabVIEW where you installed it. See the Known Issues in the Read Me for how to mass compile the LabVIEW Toolkit for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT.

Installation Summary

No software will be installed or removed.

😕

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,716 Views)