FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO Imaging fails: unexpected error 66: FTP Registry.vi

Hi,

I tried to reimage my cRIO and everything works fine with the "FRC cRIO Imaging Tool" until I get the following error message:

Unable to complete operation because of unexpected error 66: FTP Registry.vi [unregister]: invalid object 0

Does anyone know, what's wrong?

p.s.: I tried it several time, powered everything on and off and even tried an old image but without success.

Greets,

Clemens

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,863 Views)

Hi Clemens,

What are the settings that you chose to reimage the cRIO with?

And what are the dip switches set at?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,729 Views)

I had all DIP switches in OFF position. In the "crio-frc_Operating_Instructions.pdf" it says about the SAFE MODE Dip switch:

"The position of the SAFE MODE switch determines whether the embedded LabVIEW Real-Time engine launches at startup. If the switch is in the OFF position, the LabVIEW Real-Time engine launches. Keep this switch in the OFF position during normal operation. If the switch is in the ON position at startup, the cRIO-FRC  launches only the essential services required for updating its configuration and installing software. The LabVIEW Real-Time engine does not launch."

Sounded promising, but the cRIO Imaging tool crashed with the same error message.

But I finally found a workaround myself. To understand what the cRio Image tool does anyways I captured all network packets during the imaging and it turned out that the tool is using the FTP protocol to upload the ZIP file content to the cRIO. My captured traffic showed that something goes wrong during the transfer of the ni-rt\startup folder (the folder ni-rt\system is transferred correctly).

So at first I thought I could just use a FTP client to finish the upload on my own, but I recognized that the ZIP contains a BitFile (I guess for the FPGA) which cannot be easily uploaded. So I had to find a way to convince the image tool to finish the FTP upload and proceed to the next steps. To do that I created a special ZIP file. I put all the files from the original FRC release in it, except for the files in the startup folder.

This time the image tool went through and everything worked perfectly. I just had to upload the startup folder on my own with a regular FTP client

Message 3 of 3
(2,729 Views)