FIRST Robotics Competition Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO imaging problem

The order of the updates should not matter so I don't think that is your issue.  I would definitely suggest reformatting the cRIO if you are having trouble imaging it (by putting it into safe mode and then using the imaging tool). You should also make sure that you only have one NIC enabled on any computer you are using to image the cRIO.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 65
(1,101 Views)

Let me confirm a few details on the reformat. I'm using an old cRIO from last year. I'll set the safe mode switch to safe mode and then power up. When the imaging tool locates the cRIO, I'll format it (and say yes to the safe mode reformat request.) We've had instances where I've tried this and it just sits... No discernable activity. After 20 or 30 minutes, I gave up and canceled. If this re-format is successful, how will I know? How long is it reasonable to wait? If good, I should power off, turn the "safe mode" off and power up. Then run the imaging utility again. ALSO all the other NIC need to be off on the imaging laptop. Does that include wireless?   

Does that sound like the right order of steps?

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 65
(1,101 Views)

I've had issues before too.  Here are some exact steps that i know have worked for us in the past when things are working well:

1. Turn off wireless (disable radio) so that it doesn't show up. (if you go to a command prompt and type ipconfig, it should say media disconnected).
  2. I like to set a static ip address for the LAN NIC.  We are team 167, so I set my ip to 10.1.67.5, subnett 255.0.0.0, leave gateway and dns fields blank.
  3. If your computer is a laptop, make sure that it is connected to a power supply, screen saver is turned off. Basicly, make sure there is no way something can interrupt the reformat process.
  4. Hook your computer up to a hub or switch.
  5. Hook your cRIO up to the switch as well.
  6. Make sure cRIO is off.
  7. set the SAFE mode switch to ON on cRIO.
  8. Turn on the cRIO.
  9. start the FRC2012 image tool on your computer.
  10. It should find your cRIO, select the cRIO, set your team number, select the package, etc.
  11. Click Apply.
  12. the image software will say that it noticed safe mode is enabled and ask you if you want to reformat, say yes.  I don't think this process took us longer than 20 minutes max. 
  13. If all goes well it should be reformatted.  The image tool should tell you that the operation is complete. Click ok.
  14. Turn off the cRIO
  15. Turn the safemode switch to off.
  16. Turn on the cRIO
  17. Press rescan on the image tool (or restart it if you closed it).
  18. Repeat step 10. (set team number etc.)
  19. Software should say the operation completed.

Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 65
(1,101 Views)

On the machine we have here which replicates the issue wolfeman reported originally we are only able to re-image the cRIO when the wireless card is enabled. So if you are having issues imaging the controller I would try it with your NIC's all enabled and with just the one you are using enabled. Which way works for the imaging tool seems highly system dependent.  We are still trying to figure out the root cause of the issue but if this fixes the issue for any of you running into it we would definitely like to know about.

So in short if you are having trouble imaging

-Try with just one NIC enabled

-If that doesnt work try enabling Wireless and then other NIC's

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 65
(1,101 Views)

Success!!

We followed the list posted by Lorchess. We disabled the wireless NIC.

Only the connection to the cRIO was enabled.

This is on a HP G62 laptop with an I5 processor and Windows 7.

5 minutes before we kicked everybody out of the shop.... One of the students says "Hey, I think it's working."

It did and it imaged the old 8 slot cRIO.

I'll get a better chance to test it out tomorrow and will post anything else we find.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 65
(1,101 Views)

I used two different machines an HP dv7t (Win7) and a Lenovo 3000 N100 (XP).  I couldn't get either of them to reformat either the FRC-cRIO or the FRC-cRIOII.  I could set their IPs, ping them, and access their FTP servers, but reformatting timed out everytime.  Routers, disabled/enabled wifi-cards didn't seem to make a difference.  Switched to an old Toshiba (XP) and it worked the first time on both of them . . .  In the end I had a direct connection and only the wired NIC was enabled.

Kevin, if you want sys_info for any or all of the laptops I can e-mail that to you if you like.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 65
(1,101 Views)

I saw the same error on a crio II today.  My laptop is a Lenovo W520. 16G ram dual quad core and solid state drive.  Worked fine reimaging an old crio.

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 65
(1,101 Views)

We have had several more calls on this issue and they have all been resolved by ENABLING the wireless cards in your computer.

If this does not work for you post back or call in.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 65
(1,101 Views)

We have two of the new cRio IIs.  I was able to image one of them with my pc using the router.  With the exact same setup, I was unable to image the second one.  (Timeout)

I will be bringing in a new PC today to retry the image on the second one.

All things being equal, there may be some variations between different cRio IIs that could be causing the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 65
(1,101 Views)

Hey mgurgol,

That seems strange that the same setup works differently for two different cRIO's. Are you assigning them different IP addresses? Are both still on the same subnet as the PC?

If you are still having issues imaging one of them I would try direct connected to the PC with all but the NIC in use disabled and then if that doesn't work try with all NIC's (including wireless) enabled

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 65
(1,101 Views)