FIRST Tech Challenge Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window 8 64 bit and FTC Toolkit issues - Teleop code generation

The team is running Windows 8 64 bit OS on an HP computer.  Installed the LV 2012, LVLM SP1, and the FTC Toolkit 2013-2014 09092013 update.  The generated code for the Teleop won't recognize the NXT configuration, and won't recognize the Tetrix DC Motors and Servo Controllers.  Only options for constants are Port A, B, C (all empty ports by the way).  Now options for the motors that are configured on NXT controller Port 1, i.e. left motor, right motor, or any of the servo motors. 

Choosing the Configurator button on the constants launches the NXT schematic, everything is there properly, but saving that schematic and returnig to LV doesn't add any of the ports.  Team is really struggling right now, as stuck at this point and really can't generate any good code. 

The autonomous template does come up with the proper configuration and all motors are present in that vi. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,500 Views)

This sounds a lot like the same issues in another thread.  Basically you can overcome this by saving your project, completely exiting LabVIEW then re-opening the project and then you should be able to select the correct motors from the pulldowns.  Just make sure your schematic is correct and saved before you create your remote control and generate code.

-Steve

Message 2 of 6
(3,248 Views)

save it, close the program, then open again will be fine. some times need to restart lvlm.

Message 3 of 6
(3,248 Views)

Thank you.  That worked, but had other broken wires show up. 

Tonight I was instructing a new programmer on the team, and we started from scratch with a blank template.  The rest of the  team was working on the robot, and the NXT block was loose from the robot.  No motors or controllers were connected to the NXT controller.

Long and short, everything work fine.  Teleop code generated correctly and didn't require exiting out of labview and choosing the correct motors.  No broken wires and everything downloaded correctly.  So apparently another method is to disconnect everything from the NXT brick and just connect to programming PC with the USB cable. 

This also happened after a fresh download of the Labview firmware.  The team was evaluating switching to Robot C.  They installed the Robot C programming evironment on PC, and robotC loaded RobotC firmware.  We were surprised when we found the NXT brick had a new name when first attempting to connect in the Labivew environment. 

Anyway, the rookie team decided the RobotC was a little beyond their programming experience/capabilities.  (This is their first experience).  And the syntax of C scared them. 

Message 4 of 6
(3,248 Views)

Jerry, Mathterizer

Thank you for your pateince and coorporation on this issue. We believe we've found the source of the code gen bug and it is currently being testing by LabVIEW R&D. We will provide a patch as soon as possible to addess this as well as other issues that have been brought to our attention through the forum. This patch will be needed for Mac and PC installations. I will post back on this thread as soon as the patch is avalible.

Thank You

Hunter

I've brought this in from another thread where LabVIEW users have been troubleshooting these 'generate code' issues. So, GOOD NEWS is on the horizon! Lots of your problems are actually no fault of yours.

ric007 wrote:

(excerpt)

......we started from scratch with a blank template.......

Long and short, everything work fine.  Teleop code generated correctly and didn't require exiting out of labview and choosing the correct motors.  No broken wires and everything downloaded correctly.

We have also found that starting with a blank template (not the FTC Arm & Gripper) can be helpful. It may have just as much to do with starting/restarting/exiting/reentering that goes on in a meeting; but, at any rate I always like to start with a fresh Schematic Editor.

(ric0007 excerpt cont...)

So apparently another method is to disconnect everything from the NXT brick and just connect to programming PC with the USB cable.

I've never had the actual state of the robot (things connected, etc.) effect the behavior of the LabVIEW 'code generation'. In fact, we code plenty with no robot in sight. I can't imagine that it would effect the 'deploy' either, as it is not aware of anything physically connected to the robot, just what you have defined in your Schematic Editor. So don't worry about this (unless your superstitious).

(ric007 excerpt cont...)

Anyway, the rookie team decided the RobotC was a little beyond their programming experience/capabilities.  (This is their first experience).  And the syntax of C scared them. 

This made me smile.   We had a similar experience looking at some buggy RobotC code posted in the FTC forums..not that it was beyond our understanding...just that it was ugly to look at. So, aesthetics (beauty) is one of the reasons we like to use LabVIEW. I am a classically trained retired programmer - I see plenty of other benefits in choosing LabVIEW. Don't let your rookie status alone be your driving force to choose LabVIEW. It will grow with you as your programming expertise increases.Kid's learn how to implement 'programming constructs', and they learn to problem-solve with this mind-set. The code looks a lot like a 'flow chart', something that every successful system starts with (regardless of the language used to implement it). They are learning some serious 'system design' skills by using LabVIEW. Imagine how easy a robot that is a 'State Machine' will be to design and implement. NOTE: The FTC offers up very quick RC Mapping capabilities (in both languages), where kids can get away with NEVER looking at the piece of code being compiled to the brick. Enjoy!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,248 Views)

Hi everyone,

The updated version of MINDSTORMS Competition Toolkit for 2013-2014 has been released and posted here:

Windows: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/4331/lang/en

Mac: http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/4332/lang/en

Please let me know if the teleop code generation issues described in this thread are not resolved. Thanks!

- Aaron

Message 6 of 6
(3,248 Views)