Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Student Costs

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to know what the general feeling was about offering licences for LabVIEW to students for free. I only recently started using LabVIEW and have found it quite a nice tool to use and was trying to figure out why LabVIEW/graphical programming is not taught in Universities (I am in Australia so maybe the unis here are a little behind the times). I did find some uni's teaching signal processing using HP Vee but it seems that most students don't know LabVIEW.

I know that huge academic discounts are offered, but my personal feeling is that lots of engineers and scientists will sherk away from LabVIEW unless they get familiar with it in uni's e.g. Why learn something new when I already know C or Java? Has NI ever considered offering free student licences?

Y.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,847 Views)
There are alot of universities that do use labVIEW. I went to Penn State University and had 4 classes that used LV on a consistent basis for labs and projects. My senior design project used LV exclusively. Now it wasn't as intense as taking the NI training courses but I leveraged that experience to get the job I am in now. Still had a lot to learn though!!! 🙂 There are alot of discounts for students and Universities out there and when I was in school we actually had a student version that was provided to us through the university for free. Talk with your local NI rep and see what is available. You can find your rep on the ni website. It is our duty as the LV community to get the word out there and show how powerful the software is. NI is now trying to move their training into some universities so I think they are seeing how important it is to get students involved. Hope this helps.
BJD1613

Lead Test Tools Development Engineer

Philips Respironics

Certified LV Architect / Instructor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,831 Views)
Hi Yanwong,

Most Australian Universites teaching engineering have LabVIEW teaching licenses and are teaching subjects using it. If you would like more information on specific universities, contact me at jeremy.carter@ni.com The LabVIEW Student Edition 7.1 http://sine.ni.com/apps/we/nioc.vp?cid=14893〈=US is available from selected university bookshops or from NI directly for $80 AUD plus GST and shipping.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,812 Views)