Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock old threads

Solved!
Go to solution

As I stated at the beginning of this thread 6 months with no activity  is more than enough time for a thread to live before it is locked.

Locking old threads will help end this type of confusion caused when an old thread is brought back from the dead and then split into a new thread. 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 98
(5,482 Views)

Coming back to live after 13.2 years.

I still think there should be a lock…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 22 of 98
(5,435 Views)

I do not understand what the issue is with this forum and their refusal to do so.

This has got to be the only forum I visit that does not lock threads after a certain amount of time.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 98
(5,428 Views)

There is no out-of-the-box functionality to lock topics or warn users when posting to old topics, so this will require a customization be created. While we do not yet have an estimated date for this customization, we can assure you that our team is still tracking this in our backlog. We will address it when availability and priority allows.

Thanks,

Lili

~~~~~~~~~
Message 24 of 98
(5,423 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

I do not understand what the issue is with this forum and their refusal to do so.

This has got to be the only forum I visit that does not lock threads after a certain amount of time.

I think there are many perfectly legitimate reasons to not lock the threads and allow posts well into the future.  While the newly attached example doesn't really seem to be one of them, I'd rather deal with an occasional zombie thread than lose out on the ability to post in an old thread with truly useful new information.  ("hey that bug reported in 2010? cause what?  It is now fixed in 2018!")  Or those late thank yous from people who have been helped by an old thread.

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 98
(5,413 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

@RTSLVU

I think there are many perfectly legitimate reasons to not lock the threads and allow posts well into the future.  While the newly attached example doesn't really seem to be one of them, I'd rather deal with an occasional zombie thread than lose out on the ability to post in an old thread with truly useful new information.  ("hey that bug reported in 2010? cause what?  It is now fixed in 2018!")  Or those late thank yous from people who have been helped by an old thread.

I do not agree, as you can always reference and link to the old thread in a new post with the same problem.

Keeping these open just for a few more "Thank Yous" is superfluous.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 98
(5,411 Views)

A clear warning after 6 month is what I would like to see.

Maybe add a link like : Klick here to create a new thread including a link to the old one?

Add some more hints.. like:

Requests to send/post that ...vi       .. maybe better try a personal message?

A Kudo also will say thank you and don't push up the old thread 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 98
(5,384 Views)

I'm going to chime in with my views.  Spoiler alert, less than generally known info ahead.  Christina, if this isn't public knowledge editing is fine.

Locking threads is a bad idea.  For example, I do need to revisit my community nugget on sub millisecond timing where I  suggested a suitable object may be created to the high resolution timer and offered a "Single Core-burner" approach to a high resolution timer Wait.  LabVIEW 2018 added that feature as High Resolution Wait.vi.  I am still waiting on media to install ASP spring 2018 to upgrade the 8-Ball machine and futz with that new vi.

A warning would be nice.  

Lastly, perhaps a discussion should be started on the Round Table for the Knights to achieve a consensus about when and if to split threads and what priority we should place on watching for these opportunities to make the forums better.

@RSTLVU, would that satisfy you?  And stop feeding that troll!  When they say they are not coming back and continue ranting,  well,  ...

Let's just say you a proving the truthfulness of Proverbs 29:9.  That's not a complement.   Better to hit the report to moderate button than the one labeled "Reply"  😉

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 98
(5,253 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Locking threads is a bad idea.  For example, I do need to revisit my community nugget on sub millisecond timing where I  suggested a suitable object may be created to the high resolution timer and offered a "Single Core-burner" approach to a high resolution timer Wait.  LabVIEW 2018 added that feature as High Resolution Wait.vi.  I am still waiting on media to install ASP spring 2018 to upgrade the 8-Ball machine and futz with that new vi.

A special case for updating community nuggets would be a better idea than leaving all threads open just in case you need to change or add something years later.

In fact Community Nuggets deserve their own board (or sub-board) that could have all the Nuggets left open

========================
========================
Message 29 of 98
(5,248 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Lastly, perhaps a discussion should be started on the Round Table for the Knights to achieve a consensus about when and if to split threads and what priority we should place on watching for these opportunities to make the forums better.

Splitting resurrected threads into a new thread leads to its own problems.

Lets just not allow the old threads to be brought back from the dead 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 98
(5,237 Views)