Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Avatar

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Jeff -- it wasn't our intent or Lithium's to change anyone's avatar. There is a bug in the platform that is causing these odd issues with everyone's avatars -- whether uploaded or chosen from the images provided here. It was unexpected for us too, and we are pressing on our platform provider for a resolution as quickly as possible.

Lili,  I'm NOT saying that NI OR Li are unresponsive.  I'm Just trying to keep the pressure on!  Admittedly, my avatar has suffered the worst of the effects from the recent Forum Upgrade.  It's a one case in multiple thousands bug!  

Yet, it IS getting noticed negatively!   If i need to go back to a stock avatar- OK, but, I will not be a visible as the "Spinning 8-Ball" that community members have come to expect when I post.  

Summary: I would wish that this bug never happened. Alternately, Roll back the "Fix" that included the bug or, code around the bug for this case. Yeah, code-arounds are never "right" but, sometimes expedient!

And while we are being blunt-

Yes, my avatar got hit bad, the "Bug" in the platform hit 5 out of the top 10 posters on the forums!  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 32
(2,708 Views)
Yes, my avatar was handmade with every pixel carefully chosen, including color palette and frame timing.

So hands-off lithium! 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 32
(2,703 Views)

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote: Summary: I would wish that this bug never happened. Alternately, Roll back the "Fix" that included the bug or, code around the bug for this case. Yeah, code-arounds are never "right" but, sometimes expedient!

Yes, a rollback is something we are considering if there is not a decent workaround or if there is not a sufficient ETA for getting this fixed. We would need to consider the other bugs that were fixed / new features in the latest platform release, as well as coordinate with Lithium on the rollback. I'll definitely post updates as they become available.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 32
(2,701 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote: Summary: I would wish that this bug never happened. Alternately, Roll back the "Fix" that included the bug or, code around the bug for this case. Yeah, code-arounds are never "right" but, sometimes expedient!

Yes, a rollback is something we are considering if there is not a decent workaround or if there is not a sufficient ETA for getting this fixed. We would need to consider the other bugs that were fixed / new features in the latest platform release, as well as coordinate with Lithium on the rollback. I'll definitely post updates as they become available.

I' m getting very close to contacting Greg Freeman to see if he still has the old source for the "for_Im_Stuck" Avatar and posting that for adoption by anyone that reads "Breakpoint".

I do not like being "disruptive" without a clear objective.  The flashing avatar is disruptive

But, then again, that is not a space in my Alias!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 32
(2,695 Views)

Unfortunately, I still do not have an update from Lithium on a fix for this issue. I've extensively attempted to find a workaround for the glitchy gif avatar, but to no avail. For now, I recommend you use an avatar that does not have the flash. The spinning 8-ball with no sparkle appears to work okay on the forums as an avatar. I know this is not ideal for you, but it is the best suggestion I have for now.

I'll update again when I have more.

Thanks,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 15 of 32
(2,656 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

For now, I recommend you use an avatar that does not have the flash.

If he leaves the current avatar up, the site needs a warning about PSE. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 32
(2,650 Views)

@LiliMcDonald wrote:

Unfortunately, I still do not have an update from Lithium on a fix for this issue. I've extensively attempted to find a workaround for the glitchy gif avatar, but to no avail. For now, I recommend you use an avatar that does not have the flash. The spinning 8-ball with no sparkle appears to work okay on the forums as an avatar. I know this is not ideal for you, but it is the best suggestion I have for now.

So here's the issue: The Lithium image encoder fails to encode certain frames of gifs -- turning them into glitches. If you remove those frames the animation suffers but you prevent the glitches.

If you want a sparkle in your avatar, this gif has it, but is missing some frames.

true.gif

Issue still not fixed, and this workaround isn't perfect, but it's what I've got for now.

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 32
(2,640 Views)

LiliMcDonald wrote

If you want a sparkle in your avatar, this gif has it, but is missing some frames.

true.gif

It also looks better since it looks like it is still moving during the sparkle.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 32
(2,635 Views)

Not the worst work-around.

It is recognazable and not disruptive.

My "Goal for the day" was find a gif editor and fix that darned flash!  Thank you for the support!  Now, If I could have that space back in my alias?  OK, i'm teasing!  

For others. How does the avatar look on multiple browsers etc...?  Chrome, full and mobile sites are looking good to me.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 32
(2,623 Views)

It looks OK (maybe not great but much better than the flash) on Safari on the Mac.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 32
(2,612 Views)