Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated FireFox search bar plugin

Hello all,

I've updated my FireFox search bar plugin so it searches the new forum.

Anybody interested can install it from my FireFox search bar page.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
Message 1 of 6
(4,493 Views)
Hi Ed,

I tried to install your plug-in. I use Firefox Version 1.0.1 german. When I click on the link I get a dialog named "Add search engine". When I click OK nothing happens. The help of Firefox isn't really a help. I'm running W2K and I'm logged in as a restricted user.

I have JavaScript enabled and has "Allow website to install software" enabled and have your website in the list of allowed sites.

Do I need to have more rights to install a plug-in? Or is there something else to consider?
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,327 Views)
I'm not sure to tell you the truth. My guess would be something to do with the restricted user rights.

The simple sollution is to manually install the search. Under your FireFox directory, there should be a directory named \searchplugins. Unzip both of the files in the attached zip file into the \searchplugins directory, and then restart FireFox. One of the files is the icon that will show up in the search box, the other is the source for the plugin.

Let me know how it goes.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,299 Views)
Ed, it is cool! It does work on Japanese XP. I can use Japanese as a serch key. I am sure many Japanes user can enjoy it.

d_touch
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,284 Views)
Dear Ed,

it is the restricted user rights which prevents from installing the search plug-in. All folders under "Program Files" have not the right to create files or to write for restricted users. And the Firefox help does ot state this fact. On the other side I (now in the role of an administrator) cannot setup my computer to have different search engines for each user. Fortunatly I have my own hard drive and OS otherwise my family will now have NI Discussion forum in the list of search engines.

As far as I have seen with two test it works good.

BTW: The restricted right is also a problem with LV. I (now in the role of a simple programmer) have to bet my administrator (myself see above) to open the LabVIEW.ini file, Help, Examples, Instr.lib and User.lib folders so that I can use them normally.
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,276 Views)

BTW: The restricted right is also a problem with LV. I (now in the role of a simple programmer) have to bet my administrator (myself see above) to open the LabVIEW.ini file, Help, Examples, Instr.lib and User.lib folders so that I can use them normally.

I saw this when I first started using Win2K a few years ago. Not a problem now since I have Admin rights, but my solution at the time was to not install LabVIEW in the Program Files directory. I always just place it in National Instrument on the C: drive.

Ed

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,267 Views)