Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I search the same board twice

Scenario: I'm in a board. Pick one - there's lots to choose from. Now, enter something in the search bar. Note that the dropdown says "Board" (which is pretty vague, in my opinion, but that's a different story). Click Search. OK, you get a bunch of results. Hmmm... no, wait, let me change the search criteria a bit, by, say, adding a word. So, add a word to the search criteria and click on Search. Hmmm... wow, that's sure a whole lot more results. No, wait, why is it drawing in results from other boards as well? I didn't ask for that.

So, why can't I search the same board twice without having to take the long way around by going back to the board's main page and entering a new search?

Message 1 of 7
(9,164 Views)

This isn't the first time I've seen this mentioned.  It is very annoying.  Especially when I'm in the Idea Exchange trying to find duplicates.  Search.  Nope, not there.  Go back to the main board.  Search.  repeat

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(9,158 Views)

I've seen this discussed before also - I think the Idea Exchange has had this problem since it started. The behavior is unintuitive for the user, and creates a heavier server load since more client page navigation is required.

Link to more current searching issues.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(9,154 Views)

Search feedback noted - I will check on it's status in the updated interface.

Thanks,

Laura

Message 4 of 7
(9,114 Views)

Yes - perhaps there could be a "Keep search within TestStand Board" etc., and "Widen search to other boards" to make it more explicit.

TestStand 4.2.1, LabVIEW 2009, LabWindows/CVI 2009
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(9,005 Views)

Another method is to use the Advanced Search interface because you can select a board to search there and that selection persists while you stay in the interface. 

Thanks,

Laura

(P.S. for everyone more familiar - there was a bug with the board selection, but it's been fixed)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,989 Views)

@Laura F. wrote:

Another method is to use the Advanced Search interface because you can select a board to search there and that selection persists while you stay in the interface. 

Now if there only a way to get to the Advanced Search easily .... Hmmmm....

(The lack of being able to get to the Advanced Seach without being forced to do a regular search has been mentioned before as well. Smiley Wink)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,983 Views)