Feedback on NI Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New layout - nice but.....

Solved!
Go to solution

I find the lack of any border on the left-hand side (in Firefox) makes Avatars and text sometimes hard to read.

Otherwise it feels nice and fast, seems to be a real improvement.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 55
(7,900 Views)

I'm using firefox.  But I see a border on the left.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 55
(7,897 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

I'm using firefox.  But I see a border on the left.

Increase your resolution and everything changes.  It seems to be around 1800 pixels wide where it changes.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 55
(7,894 Views)

I'll check at work on Monday on a big screen.  Right now I'm looking at the laptop screen.

(How does changing the format cause so many different aspects of the layout to go so wrong?)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 55
(7,885 Views)

I have 1920 width but this is how my screen looks:

NI Forum layout.png

The way the picture is inserted, it looks like it has a border, but my avatar is literally hugging the left-side of the screen.  0px border left and right.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 55
(7,870 Views)

I don't like that the top banner takes 150 pixels and the bottom one 370, not mentioning the Lithium part. Really? That's 500 pixels accomplishing close to nothing for actual browsing/reading.

Moreover, if you scroll down, the text goes under the banner (ie it is a separate pane, so there is no way to optimize browser page area allocation). At least the bottom banner scrolls with the remainder of the page.

This has a feeling of deja vu.

Message 6 of 55
(7,847 Views)

Yes, please get rid of the fixed banner. It wastes a lot of screen space.  Fixed banners are evil, especially large ones.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 55
(7,831 Views)

I can confirm the missing border above 1800px (in Chrome), but it's like the whole CSS changes. The kudo and reply buttons suddenly turn grey/black, and the blue gradient at the start of each individual message disappears. The font size for the header with the username, Log Out, My Settings and Help option also becomes a lot smaller. See images below for before and after:

LessThan1800px_1024.jpg

MoreThan1800px.JPG

I agree with the others that the top banner is wasted space. The way the blue indicator slides in from the left on every page load is a bit of a gimmick, and the promminently displayed shopping cart is downright tacky. I'm on the support forum, not the product page.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
Message 8 of 55
(7,825 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Intaris

Hi everyone,

The issue with the maximized browser window losing all formatting on a widescreen monitor is a bug that we are working with Lithium to address.

There are several other bugs we are working on addressing as well, including:

- Clicking on the new post link from the board view will scroll you to the bottom of the page (example)

- Quoted text appearing larger than normal

There also seems to be some issues when using mobile or when changing the zoom on the web browser. This is something NI will investigate further.

Also, I wanted to mention that while responsive design is cited as one of the reasons for the changes, we still have different desktop and mobile versions of the forums as they are hosted by Lithium. We are working on rolling out a responsive design for the community in the future.

Please refer to the blog post here for more information on the changes, as well as the follow up comment here addressing some of the feedback we've already received. Please continue to provide feedback and report any issues you may encounter. You can post feedback in the comment section of the blog post, or using this form.

Thank you,

~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 55
(7,791 Views)

Hello Lili 

Here's what I mean about the banner taking an excessive amount of the screen. It gets worse on zooming. if this redesign was meant to make it easier to use on small screens it is a massive fail. 

I was able to reproduce this on a desktop. All you need to do is to change the height of the window until the banner is about a third of the window height. Now see how restricting it when you can't remove the banner by scrolling.

Rod.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 55
(7,763 Views)