FlexLogger

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexlogger cycle counter

Is there a way to have a digital cycle counter in flexlogger? Using a string encoder, I figured I could use a calculated channel to go hi at the completion of each cycle, but then is there a way to display a tally? Will it tell me how many times an alarm has been triggered? I could set up a warning as well and use it that way.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,359 Views)

Would you be able to give a few more details about your desired workflow? Is the cycle counter to count the number of test iterations?  

This sounds like something that could be implemented as a plug-in: https://www.ni.com/documentation/en/flexlogger/latest/manual/adding-a-plugin/ but I'd need to understand more to be sure.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,307 Views)

Kevin,

I have an item that cycles up and down repeatedly over its lifetime (300 cycles). I just want to keep track of how many cycles its completed. Essentially an over complicated clicker counter. It's sort of outside the bounds of what I think flexlogger is intended to do, but was curious if its possible.

I could set a calculated channel to read "high" every time my encoder reached at least 95% of full travel, then just have a display that counted every time that channel switched from low to high. 

Again, I think its outside the intent of Flexlogger, we'd normally just write a quick labview program to control everything. Mostly curious if its doable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,296 Views)

Hi Jacob,

I'm an alliance member and used to develop FlexLogger plugins for my customers.

From what you describe, it seems that a plugin could do the trick.

In the plugin you could set the HW channels for each of your signals (I don't know if your counter has 1, 2 or 3 channels ; depending on the counter type). And we could create an 'ouput channel' that will deliver the counting. 

All the algorithms is then managed into the plugin code. You would'nt have to create any calculated channels.

A plugin is 'cloneable', which means that once it is developped, you can use several instances of that plugin in parallel without any problem (if you have sevral counters to read at the same time for example).

If you need such development, do not hesitate to send me a private message and we could see if can work together.

Regards,

Cyril

CLA, CTA, LV Champion
View Cyril Gambini's profile on LinkedIn
This post is made under CC BY 4.0 DEED licensing
Message 4 of 5
(3,291 Views)

Hey Jacob,

Thanks for the details.  I definitely think this would be doable using the existing plug-in in infrastructure.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,288 Views)