GDS(Goop Development Suite)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

National Instruments has acquired GDS and made it FREE

Since it looks like the vis are all saved without passwords can it be back-ported to LV2012 (11 etc) ? On balance I'd rather not have to upgrade all of my rigs to 2013 just to get GOOP working (or for that matter what happens to older installs of the Symbio version - does the license code generator stop working now?).

Still, fantastic news and no more banging head because the project has got too many GOOP classes for the community version to cope with

--
Gavin Burnell
Condensed Matter Physics Group, University of Leeds, UK
http://www.stoner.leeds.ac.uk/
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 37
(2,127 Views)

Maybe we can give out a Public License Key, that everybody can use to activate the Symbio's version that has support for 2010-

Also we might be able to give out the BD Pwd that Symbio has used.

...I'll get back soon.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 37
(2,127 Views)

The is great. Good job.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 37
(2,127 Views)

This is great news, as someone have stated before, wil it go back to LV2010 as GDS 4.7 do on my current license?

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 37
(2,127 Views)

Great news! And god choice to make it free.

Thank you Mike Holmström for working so dedicated with this tool so many years and continuously improving it.

And thank you Stephen for your dedicated long term support to Mike&Symbio when this tool was developed and now finally adopted by NI.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 37
(2,127 Views)

And how about Linux? Will NI ensure it runs on Linux?

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 37
(2,127 Views)

This is very good news indeed!

Thanks to Endevo/Symbio for all the effort you put into creating this OO programming system. By turning this into a free toolkit NI gives this "way of life" a big boost. Congrats to you all!

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 37
(2,127 Views)

JanK wrote:

> Will NI ensure it runs on Linux?

No. NI might make it run on Linux, but NI is not making any committment to do so. NI is committed to keeping the GDS working in future LV versions. Nothing beyond that is committed.

I am taking off my "NI LabVIEW R&D" hat at this point and putting on my "Aristos Queue, LabVIEW user" hat.

I wanted the toolkit to be available to more users so that they could benefit from its features. I convinced NI to purchase the rights to the toolkit and make it freely available. That acquisition does not come with dedicated developer resources going forward. It opens the door to several of us who have an interest in the toolkit making adjustments to it in our own time. I have already made several fixes to the toolkit when I built the new installer. It is my hope that this is a large enough block of existing code with a large enough community of users that it can be carried forward by community involvement.

There's a lot I still have to learn about the code base... for example, I know of no reason why it wouldn't run on Linux right now today. I've only heard that it doesn't. I haven't tried it. Perhaps it is something straightforward to fix. Perhaps not. Fixing it would certainly fit with my goal of making the tool available to the widest slice of the LabVIEW user base.

I do not know how this toolkit will develop going forward. I do not have the bandwidth to drive development of the toolkit, but I am going to serve as the pointman for changes. As fixes get posted here and vetted by the community members, I'll update the installer that is available for download from the LabVIEW Tools Network, and update it as new versions of LabVIEW are released. This is on the edge of my job description, but I've been promised enough timeslices that I should be able to do that. Development, on the other hand, is entirely on my own time if I choose to do it.

Message 18 of 37
(2,127 Views)

I was curious and tried it on Linux: Some graphical glitches but it seems to work. I was able to create a bunch of classes in GDS and to open them in the UML editor.

IMHO it would be a nice job for the community to test it and provide the necessary fixes. The effort might be reasonable

Message 19 of 37
(2,127 Views)

Oh, I thougt NI invested more in ensuring maintenance.

In any case, about Linux. Main reason I asked is that I am using GDS v4.2 on Linux and LV 2009 in a customer project rigth now. It definitely works. But it is not as stable as on Windows and the UML editor doesn't work properly. On the other hand the customer is running LV on an unsupported Linux distribution, so I am not so surprised there are issues. But the customer will update to latest LV (and supported Linux distribution) and then we can also upgrade to GDS4.7. It would then be good to know that Linux is a supported platform for the tool.

It is definitely feasable to have the ambition to support Linux. But some testing is needed when doing releases of GDS. That is primarily why I asked.

Previously when Mike did releases for Symbio he had automated a number of tests to be run on Windows to ensure quality. But test environment was not setup for Linux and therefor we didn't include Linux in the license agreement as "supported platform" even if we did know it worked. But we couldn't ensure quality.

I guess now the community will have to contribute with testing on various platforms. I'll try to contribute when I have latest LV available.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 37
(2,127 Views)