[IDLE] Central Texas LabVIEW User Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Many Personalities of NI RIO Technology

Seven years ago, NI released its first reconfigurable I/O (RIO) PXI  plug-in board, but it did not stop there.

That first board, the NI PXI-7831R,  featured a 1M gate field-programmable  gate array (FPGA) along with built-in analog and digital I/O. The  “R” in NI PXI-7831R stood for “reconfigurable I/O,” which meant that  engineers and scientists could program or reconfigure the onboard FPGA  chip to create custom timing, processing, and control for the board I/O  to develop advanced data acquisition, control, and test solutions. Even  better, users could program the FPGA on the board with NI LabVIEW graphical tools. The  result was a software and hardware combination that allowed any engineer  or scientist to use FPGA technology within their designs.

Fast-forward from 2003 to 2010. The use of RIO technology has  expanded dramatically and has become a primary area of investment for  National Instruments. During the past seven years, NI has released  hundreds of products within the RIO family for a variety of embedded,  industrial, and test applications; now thousands of engineers and  scientists worldwide use RIO technology within their designs and  solutions.

The core of the NI RIO technology platform still includes LabVIEW  graphical system design tools that engineers and scientists can use to  program a variety of RIO hardware that shares a common hardware  architecture. This high-performance RIO architecture includes a  processor for floating-point processing and communications connected to a  reconfigurable FPGA that provides the performance of custom hardware  along with modular I/O. In this architecture, connecting the FPGA  directly to the I/O – whether it be analog, digital, or communication  I/O – allows users to customize the timing and processing of each I/O  element directly through the FPGA. The benefits of the NI RIO platform  include a standard architecture that engineers and scientists can use  for any application area, from design to control to test, and a standard  LabVIEW programming toolchain that engineering teams can use throughout  the design process.

The NI RIO Hardware Platform

NI has produced a variety of packaged and board-level hardware  systems that share the RIO architecture, so engineers and scientists can  reuse hardware and software from the design and prototyping phases of  their projects in industrial and embedded deployments and automated  testing. For embedded applications, NI Single-Board RIO board-level devices feature a real-time processor, FPGA, and analog and  digital I/O on a single board. The NI CompactRIO platform is  available in two configurations, including integrated systems with the  real-time processor and FPGA in the same chassis and modular systems in  which the real-time controller and the FPGA chassis can be interchanged.  More than 100 third-party and NI C Series I/O modules can be used within CompactRIO and EtherCAT expansion  systems to connect to a variety of sensors and actuators.

[+] Enlarge Image

Figure 1. The NI RIO product platform  includes a variety of board-level and packaged systems for creating  advanced embedded, industrial, and test applications.

NI also offers plug-in PCI and PCI Express FPGA R Series boards for use with NI industrial controllers and other PCs and  industrial PCs to create a rugged RIO solution with a high-performance  multicore processor. Finally, for high-performance test applications,  the PXI platform includes multicore PXI controllers, PXI FPGA R Series  modules, and the PXI and PXI Express NI FlexRIO FPGA and the NI FlexRIO adapter modules for custom test and communications applications.

The NI RIO Software Platform

LabVIEW graphical system design tools are key to NI RIO technology.  With LabVIEW, LabVIEW Real-Time,  and LabVIEW FPGA technologies,  engineers and scientists can program multicore processors and customize  FPGAs on NI RIO hardware without needing low-level software or hardware  design experience. The result is the ability to create customized  embedded and test solutions without the cost and complexity of  developing a custom solution.

With LabVIEW and LabVIEW Real-Time, engineers can program multicore  and real-time processors with hundreds of floating-point functions for  signal processing, control, communications, logging, and more. With  LabVIEW tools, they can quickly build a professional user interface and  integrate existing C code and text-based math. The LabVIEW FPGA Module provides a graphical way to program FPGAs, which reduces design  complexity and allows any engineer or scientist to use FPGA technology.  Included are built-in functions for fixed-point math, signal processing  and control along with the ability to integrate existing HDL or Xilinx  COREGen intellectual property (IP).

NI-RIO and LabVIEW drivers also make integrating I/O and interfacing  between the different RIO hardware components easier than with  traditional tools. LabVIEW includes I/O drivers, DMA, and single-point  communications interfaces that make it simple to connect to I/O and  interface between the processor and FPGA.

[+] Enlarge Image

Figure 2. LabVIEW graphical system  design tools offer a single approach to programming the entire RIO  architecture, including multicore processors, FPGAs, and I/O.

RIO Applications and the Future of RIO

Today thousands of engineers and scientists are using the NI RIO  architecture within their applications. For example,embedded engineers  within industries such as medical, robotics, and renewable energy use  RIO products to quickly prototype and deploy applications. RIO products  are also ideal for industrial applications and machines that require  custom control and high-speed measurements. Test engineers are using  high-performance RIO solutions to meet the needs of advanced test and  validation applications, including custom RF measurements and  hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing. NI is continuing to invest heavily  in RIO technology and ensure the engineering and scientific communities  have an ideal solution for solving problems within advanced embedded and  test applications.

Read the RIO product and technology white paper.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 1
(3,698 Views)