Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent MSO8104a resolution

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to acquire thousands of waveforms from an Agilent MSO8104a using the driver examples provided. Currently I am acquiring continuous waveform data from the scope over lan, but the data I am getting is limited to 8 bit resolution which simply is not enough to capture the waveforms I am collecting. The waveforms range in amplitude from ~-10mV to ~-5V and I have used a DC offset to utilise the maximum range of the ADC, however when I capture a wavefrom on the scope manually I get far superior resolution in both time and voltage.

Is there a way I can increse the resoltion that LabVIEW is retrieving from the scope?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,430 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jonelmer

Careful, scope displays can play tricks on you.  If you dig through the specs of the scope enough you will find that the ADC in the scope is 8-bit.  You can get 12-bit equivalent with averaging turned on, but that is only good for periodic waveforms.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,422 Views)

It seems strange then that the scope appears to save waveforms at a higher resolution, when the waveforms I am working with are non-uniform.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,419 Views)