Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining IV characteristics of a transistor using HP 4145B and LabVIEW 2012

Hello, 

I am looking to test the IV characteristics of a transistor using an HP 4145B semiconductor parameter analyzer controlled with LabView 2012.  I would like to source three voltages (ground, Vds, and Vgs) and do a linear sweep of the latter two.  Additionally, I would like to measure two currents (drain and gate).  However, I am new to LabView and am struggling with how to set up and execute these commands.  I have studied the instrument driver examples but have not found them particularly helpful.  If anyone has any advice for additional resources or example code related to this topic it would be greatly appreciated.

Best, 

Rich 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,709 Views)

@r.pennock wrote:

Hello, 

I am looking to test the IV characteristics of a transistor using an HP 4145B semiconductor parameter analyzer controlled with LabView 2012.  I would like to source three voltages (ground, Vds, and Vgs) and do a linear sweep of the latter two.  Additionally, I would like to measure two currents (drain and gate).  However, I am new to LabView and am struggling with how to set up and execute these commands.  I have studied the instrument driver examples but have not found them particularly helpful.  If anyone has any advice for additional resources or example code related to this topic it would be greatly appreciated.

Best, 

Rich 

Take LabVIEW 2012 out of the picture.

Do you know how to manually operate the HP 4145B to get the measurements you want?

Once you do, it is a matter of translating front panel key presses to GPIB commands.

Take the LabVIEW free online tutorial. http://www.ni.com/academic/students/learnlabview/

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,684 Views)

Thanks for your response!  I have a couple follow-up questions:

1) When you say take labview 2012 out of the picture do you simply mean it's more a function of knowing how to use the SPA than it is knowing how to use labview?

2) I understand how to use the device manually, and I have read the operation manual on HP-IB (GPIB) interface, but I'm having difficulty with the VI's in the hp4145b driver (which are meant to replicate the frontpanel of the hardware and communicate the appropriate GPIB commands).  Even when simply attempting to define the channels and set up the sources the program is not running properly.  

I have attached the basic set up (only two steps) with comments, any advice would be a huge help!

Thanks, 

Rich

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,673 Views)