Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB Read Error HP4145B

Hello, 

I'm trying to set up my HP4145B semiconductor parameter analyzer (very old device) using labview 2012 and am encountering some issues!  I can successfully send commands to the instrument and it will take measurements, however I cannot get the SPA to output the data to my computer.  I am using the VIs that come with the instrument driver, downloaded at:

http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.download_page?p_id_guid=E3B19B3E948F659CE034080020E748...

and I have isolated the issue to the GPIB Read function within the Data Ouptut VI.  Every time that I try to run the Data Output VI I receive error 6: HP4145 Receive Message.  Using NI-Spy I've figured out that it is a time-out issue, but I don't know how to solve it.  I've attached my NI-spy capture.  

There have been some posts about this a couple years back, but the solutions they came up with consisted of adding a delay between the Send Message and Receive Message VI's, which I have tried, but to no avail.  

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks, 

Rich

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,066 Views)

It might very well be an issue with timeout. The instrument will only answer when the entire measurement is completed. Depending on your setup, this can be a long time - much longer than the standard timeout setting of a few seconds. Check how long the measurement takes and set timeout accordingly

Good luck

Guenther

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,052 Views)