Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB-USB-HS will not recognise any instruments in LabVIEW but somewhat does in MAX - help

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm seeing this same issue.  I believe it is a problem with MAX 5.1 and NI-488.2 3.0.  With the latest NI-DAQ drivers installed yesterday, my MAX was upgraded to 5.1 and my GPIB says "no instruments found".  However, I run the device in a virtual machine with just the 488 drivers installed and MAX 5.0, and my instrument works perfectly.  I'm going to try downgrading the GPIB drivers to see if that helps and then downgrade DAQmx if needed.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,711 Views)

If everything you try fails - you may have to uninstall labview completely then re-install.  That is how I fixed my problem.....5 hours of uninstalling and re-installing.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(1,709 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion.  That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid since National Instruments has done a horrible job with the speed of installation.  Even with the fastest SSD and computer on the market, it still takes over 30 minutes to install Labview and NI-DAQ.  That is just pathetic.  I'm hoping NI does something about their installations in the future. /end gripe

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,707 Views)

@Todd_SD wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid since National Instruments has done a horrible job with the speed of installation.  Even with the fastest SSD and computer on the market, it still takes over 30 minutes to install Labview and NI-DAQ.  That is just pathetic.  I'm hoping NI does something about their installations in the future. /end gripe

How do you propose speeding up the installation?????

It is what it is with brand new install of software.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,704 Views)

some grease or oil may help, couldn't hurt

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,701 Views)

@BMFoley24 wrote:

some grease or oil may help, couldn't hurt

Right. Meaning you have no clue.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,699 Views)

Quite the opposite... meaning: it can't get any worse than it already is, so try grease or oil.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,696 Views)

@BMFoley24 wrote:

Quite the opposite... meaning: it can't get any worse than it already is, so try grease or oil.

Your original complaint was about speeding up the process.

Come up with a solution if you have one.

Your response shows that you don't. As they say, "put up or shut up".

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(1,687 Views)

nyc, It was me that diverted the attention of this thread and I apologize, but still your responses are unhelpful.

Getting back to the orignal thread, there is definitely some incompatibility between MAX 5.1 and NI-488.2 3.0.  I uninstalled 488 and reinstalled to version 2.73 and that solved the problem.  I'll submit this as a bug.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,681 Views)

@Todd_SD wrote:

nyc, It was me that diverted the attention of this thread and I apologize, but still your responses are unhelpful.

Getting back to the orignal thread, there is definitely some incompatibility between MAX 5.1 and NI-488.2 3.0.  I uninstalled 488 and reinstalled to version 2.73 and that solved the problem.  I'll submit this as a bug.

Well, your moaning about something that is the SAME with all bigtime software is unhelpful as well. Have you tried installing Visual Studio 2010 Professional???? It took us almost the entire workday to get it installed including all the updates.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,671 Views)