Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Flow Control of MKS Mass Flow Controller

Hi!

I have LV 8.6 on an HP laptop and I am connected to a USB 6009 DAQ device. My goal, in part, is to control an MKS mass flow controller (eventually 4). My mass flow controller has the 15-pin D-sub connector at the top.  I will use an MKS 4-channel controller as a power source for the mass flow controller. I'm not new to LV but am new to instrument control. I have the latest driver suite installed on the laptop, DAQmx, I/O Assistant. I simply need a LabVIEW  flow control example using these types of components to get me started. Also, any references, tutorials, books you'd recommend? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,134 Views)

You didn't provide any model numbers, so it's not clear which one is the one that "has the 15-pin D-sub connector at the top". There are several instrument drivers for various MKS devices in IDNET. For instance, the 647 is for the 8-channel controller. Perhaps it programs in the same way as the 4-channel controller? You would need to check the documentation to see.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(7,114 Views)

Hi again!

The MKS readout (which I'm using to power the flow controller) is a 247D 4-channel controller and each MFC is an MKS 1179A.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,086 Views)

According to this, you would use the analog signals on the back to control/monitor each mfc. There is no RS-232 connection. With only 2 analog outputs, doubt whether you have enough to control.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,078 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for your recommendations.

You are correct, to control up to 4 MFCs I will need another USB-6009 DAQ device. What would you recommend as an alternative DAQ device for this requirement rather than having to buy two, separate USB-6009s?

Would you happen to know of an example vi that implements a timing sequence which I can adapt to control the opening and closing of one or more MFCs? Basically, the user turns on the vi, enters the times during a given time interval (could be hours or a whole day) during which one or two MFCs are told to open or close their valves (binary) at specified times automatically without user intervention, the vi runs, and when the interval has ended it closes all MFCs and stops.

Thoughts?

And thank you again.

Gregg Anderson

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,009 Views)

Hi Andersgt,

Maybe this help you!

My solution: Use NI-DIO-96 card instead of DAQ USB-6009 and you can monitor many MFC with only one this Card.

Please refer to attached files for more detail  about DIO configuration and DLL file.

In our system, beside two MFCs (H2 & O2) we can control one more an Optical switch and an UV light source also (Just only DIO-96 card).

Regards,

Dung nv

Fujikura Fiber Optics Vietnam

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,984 Views)

Hello, take a look at this page to see all the USB DAQ options NI offers with at least 4 analog outputs

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(6,974 Views)