Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP E3631A loses connection with Labview after extended use

Hi all,

I have an HP E3631A connected to my computer using an RS232 to USB adapter and controlled with a Labview VI. When the VI is started it controls the power supply nicely, but after a while (ranges from use to use, approximately 40 minutes or so) labview loses connection and no longer controls the supply. When I try to stop the VI, labview freezes. When I try to close labview, a message of "Resetting VI: ... " shows on the screen. I have used the same adapter and power supply on another computer and didn't experience this issue. I have also adjusted the USB power options to disable the "selective suspend setting". Any other thoughts on what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,429 Views)

USB port power settings

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,407 Views)

nyc,

Thanks for the comment. I disallowed the computer to turn off the USB ports, but I still lose control of the power supply after a while. To remedy the problem I unplug and then replug the RS232 to USB adapter and restart the VI. I'm wondering if it is a timeout issue with the VI.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,383 Views)

Did you make sure, that the driver for the USB to RS232 adapter is up to date ? A bug in that driver could also cause your trouble.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,348 Views)

Make sure there is not a Windows power scheme that will over ride your USB "Stay on" settings.

This is found under Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Power Options>Balanced or High Performance>Edit Plan Settings>Change advanced power settings> USB Settings>USB selective suspend settings (DISABLE THIS!!!)  

I think you already set the Power Management settings through Device manager.

Make sure you did the same for the hubs (USB 2.0/3.0 and Generic) that send power downstream to the ports

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,328 Views)

I checked that the driver for the adapter is the newest version and also updated the driver on the original computer. The original still functions correctly and the new computer still loses the connection after an hour or so.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(5,316 Views)

All indications point to a problem like this, but unfortunately I've made sure all the USB options are set to not shut off and am still experiencing the problem.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(5,315 Views)

I've seen buggy usb drivers especially for usb3.0.

Even that a left connection accepted a mouse and a right connection did not,

HP machines needed the HP service assistant to get all drivers right. 

I don't know what vendor delivered your pc, but check for all driver updates.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(5,312 Views)

Strip back a spare USB cable and check for voltage after your problem manifests itself

USB pinout.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,293 Views)