Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I check if an RTSI cable is installed?

I recently inherited a project in my lab group which had been inactive for over two years that requires synchronizing a PCIe-1433 frame grabber and a PCIe-6353 DAQ device. I plan on doing so by using the PCIe-1433 as the master clock and connecting them with an RTSI cable.

When I started, both of these cards were already installed on the computer and I can see from archived purchasing orders that an RTSI cable for 2 cards had been ordered. However, I'm not sure if the cable was installed with the cards. In NI MAX, I can see the cards and get functionality from them, but I do not see a device for the RTSI cable. Additionally, there is a third device that I don't recognize. It appears as ASRL10::INSTR "LPT1" and NI MAX says that it was unable to open a VISA session for it.

Is there a way to check if the RTSI cable is installed and connecting the two cards without unscrewing my computer's tower?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,215 Views)

As an update, I did end up partially taking my tower apart and I found that the RTSI cable was not installed.

If anybody does have a method to check from software, please post here to help future people.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,197 Views)

Hi EBPhysics,

A way you could check would be to open up NI MAX and select your device under Devices and Interfaces. Then select the Device Routes tab in the bottom center of your screen. You should be able to scroll down and see the RTSI lines in the sources column with green boxes to the right, meaning they are directly connected.

Paul C

Paul C
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,182 Views)