Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create ampere control signal (4-20 mA) from voltage control signal (-10-10 V)

Solved!
Go to solution

I have to control 4 proportional valves (Bürkert 2873 x 3 & 2875 x 1) installed on a gas line. These valves control signal type is 4-20 mA. I have a NI USB-X 6343 daq with 4 AOs of -10 - 10 V. How can I control these valves with this daq device? I am not familiar to electrics/electronics, that's why I am asking. Thanks in advance.

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,017 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author newbieeng

That device can only output 5mA on the analog output.  So you will need an op-amp that can output over your 20mA.  See here for creating a converter circuit with an op-amp.  Your USB-6343 should be supplying the 1 to 5V to the op-amp.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,012 Views)

Thank you crossrulz. I checked the page that you suggested. Is this circuit is enough to create 4-20 mA signal? just with a resistor of 250 ohm, and a transistor?

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,002 Views)

@newbieeng wrote:

Thank you crossrulz. I checked the page that you suggested. Is this circuit is enough to create 4-20 mA signal? just with a resistor of 250 ohm, and a transistor?

I is not a transistor.  It is an op-amp.  It will need an external power source (5 to 10V should do).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,984 Views)
There are several commercial off-the-shelf solutions also, here is one example: http://www.dataforth.com/model.view.aspx?modelid=35 -AK2DM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,967 Views)

Thank you AnalogKid2DigitalMan. They seem quite useful. Smiley Happy

Egemen
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,949 Views)