Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instrument alias doesn't show up in Labview VISA selection

Hi, I am new to the boards and on a project to control hardware. I am also new to labview so please bear with me. My problem as follows

\

MAX detects this 82357A Agilent GPIB Cable I was assigned as Misc but doesn't show up in Labview Visa selection on the front panel. I am sure the cable is working as the connection wizard I installed for this cable succeeds in finding the cable. I do like to ask if anyone have any way to solve this issue, thanks you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,771 Views)

The best way to solve your problem would be to use an NI controller.Smiley Very Happy

What is your primary VISA - NI or Agilent? Do you have the tulip passport enabled?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,759 Views)
Thx for the reply. I have tulip enabled since it was among one the steps fround online. But what is a NI controller? As for primary VISA, I have no idea, is there anyway to check? ThxSmiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,751 Views)
You are using an Agilent GPIB controller. NI makes them as well and for about the same price.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,748 Views)
O, except that this is a school project and the school most likely wouldn't buy one so I am kind of stuck with the Agilent cable. Do you know any other method out of this? Thx again.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(5,740 Views)
In MAX, are you able to do a scan for instruments?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,727 Views)
Yes, it is grouped under Misc VISA resources.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,714 Views)
Still need support with this issue. Anyone knows?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,673 Views)
bumpz
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(5,636 Views)

Emo123,

Have you tried addressing the instrument directly?  Typically a VISA Resource Name for a GPIB device is something similar to GPIB::0::INSTR, see if you can find a resource name in MAX for your device and then type that into the VISA Resource Name control in LabVIEW.

If MAX is able to communicate with the device then LabVIEW should be able to.

Simon H

LabVIEW Product Manager

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,606 Views)