Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LeCroy HDO6103B with VXI11 through Ethernet

I'm writing a program in C# that talks to LeCroy scopes through NI VISA.  At first, I had to disable the firewall on the scope to be able to ping both ways, but GlobalResourceManager still does not find the resource.  I typed in the IP address in my browser and it pulled everything up for the instrument.  I have also asked LeCroy what the problem is, and so far I have not come across a solution.  

I do not have VICP passport, and LeCroy told me that VXI11 does not require this and should work fine (it doesn't).  It is noteworthy that on the 104MXs-B scopes I do not have this issue; the connection works with no problem.  The older scopes run on windows 7 and the newer ones on windows 10. 

Does anyone know what might be the issue?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(176 Views)

I have done a little more investigation here.  I was able to connect to the HDO oscilloscope and communicate with it, but I had to do two things:

1)  Disable the firewall on the scope (Windows 10)

2)  Manually add the TCPIP address of the scope in NI MAX under Network devices.

After that, the GlobalResourceManager works as expected.  I would be able to work with this if I have to, though I'm still left with doubts...GlobalResourceManager should automatically find this resource and it doesn't.  If I manually tell it to open a session with that TCPIP address directly, it works even if the scope hasn't been added in NI MAX.  Again, in this situation I am forced to manually do it.  Seems to be a problem with GlobalResourceManager.  Anybody know something?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(124 Views)

The instruments found by FindRsrc in VISA are those of local I/F resources (e.g. GPIB ASRL USB...) and registered TCP/IP resources (e.g. VXI-11 , HiSLIP, SOCLET).
Local I/Fs are directly connected to the PC and can be searched without pre-registration.
However, TCP/IP resources cannot be found without knowing the address in advance. (You can't search for something you don't know.)
To register TCP/IP resources in NI-VISA, use NI-MAX.

https://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/8BAFB7999446B59B86256DF6001C869D

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(99 Views)

Interesting.  So it makes me wonder if the operating system plays a part.  My PC is windows 11; the older scopes are windows 7 (no reg. required) and the newer one is windows 10.  I think I'll have to implement a user selection to search TCP/IP if we are connecting that way since if I register it, the GlobalResourceManager will find it even if it is not there.  Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(80 Views)