Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NI USB-232 Cable Heated Up

My newly purchased USB-232 cables, serial# BTDD0219 and BTDD020A, when connected to the mt laptop USB (cable(s) all by itself) heated up after about 5 minutes. Initially, Device Manager recognized these cables but after the initial hook up, the RS-232 ends heated up and Device Manager drop the connection. And if I'm fast enough, I can run my MET/CAL program for a few steps until the RS-232 terminal heated up. Then it crapped out!

What's the solution? Please advise.

My other but older cable, same model# 188345C-02, has no issue at all. I had this old cable hooked up on the same laptop and ran all day long without issue!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,793 Views)

Hi tomIL,

Could you provide a link to online documentation about these cables? I was not able to find them with the codes you gave me.

Are these sold by NI? I noticed the software you are using is from FLUKE, so I am curious why you came to this forum for help.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,763 Views)

Hello, 

ni.com/serial is printed on the disk. The issue was after the cable was plugged in to the laptop USB port with nothing hook-up at the RS-232 end, it heated up in about 5 minutes. All I did was just open up the Device Manager from my laptop to monitor its present. Initially plugged in, the Device Manager detected the cable but eventually after a short period while still plugged in, the USB-232 end would heated up and my laptop Device Manager would lost the connection without me doing anything. 

I've tried the NI-Serial Troubleshooter with the same result. Initial plug in, NI-Serial Troubleshooter detected the cable, passed the test. Gave it about 5 minutes to "warm up" then I re-do the Retest, nothing was detected even the cable was still plugged in! I've tried both new cables with the same result!

Anyone that had experienced this issue, please advise...? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,752 Views)

Hi again,

There is an internal quality escalation regarding this issue at National Instruments which is still in progress.

My recommendation is for you to create a service request through our online support platform and an engineer will help you further, confirming it is the same issue and update you with the status of the quality escalation.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,748 Views)