Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF001D) The specified attribute is not defined or supported by the referenced resource and VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed signal recovery

I am trying to control an HP 8350B sweep oscillator. I have an Agilent PCI-GPIB card installed on my computer and have set it up to run with labview. I installed NI VISA, followed by Agilent IO libraries and activated the Tulip passport in NI MAX. 

I tried turning on the "enable agilent GPIB cards for 488 programs" in Agilent IO libraries and checking the VISA test panel for WRITE and READ, but I get the timeout error: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed signal recovery

On moving to labview, when I configure the VISA Serial it gives me this error 

Error -1073807331 occurred at Property Node (arg 2) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi->8350_VISA.vi

and the possible reason is

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF001D) The specified attribute is not defined or supported by the referenced resource.

Subsequently on removing the VISA Serial, I get errors in Write and Read with the possible reason being

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

Help !!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(11,378 Views)
Moving to LabVIEW makes no sense if you get a timeout error in the VISA test panel and doing any sort of serial configuration makes even less sense. What query did you use with the test panel? Did you confirm it exists in the manual? Did you enable GPIB on the instrument?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(11,369 Views)

When I WRITE in the test panel i dont get an error its the READ that has a problem.

I am sorry but how do you enable GPIB on the instrument? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(11,365 Views)

By enabling GPIB if you mean REMOTE functions then yes that is activated as there is a light that glows on the REMOTE button.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(11,354 Views)
Does the instrument appear in MAX? Also, I had a quick look at the manual and I doubt that *IDN? is supported.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(11,350 Views)

Yes, it appears in MAX under Miscellaneous VISA Resources. 

I am having this same problem for my other instruments; HP-83711A and Agilent-N1912A

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(11,345 Views)