Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gpib-usb b not recognized in max

Hello,

I've seen multiple other posts of the same nature as this one, but the solutions to those other posts didn't seem to work for me.    

Some quick background info: I'm trying to use labview to control an HP6033a Power Supply.  I am borrowing a GPIB-USB-B converter from my university and while i assume the converter is in working condition, i can not verify that since this is the first time i'm using it.  I am using Windows 8 and LabVIEW 2011 (32-bit). I have also downloaded the most recent driver for this converter (NI-488.2 \ 3.1.2).

When i plug the USB into a USB2.0 port on my laptop, i can find the device through device manager under "Unrecognized Devices", and it does not apppear in "My Computer".  On the converter, the Ready lamp is lit green and the active lamp is not lit.  In MAX, when trying to create a new "device and interface", the only GPIB option listed is a "GPIB-VXI Interface" and no USB options are listed.  In LabVIEW, when i "Scan for Instruments" in the "Find Instrument Drivers" window, my device is not detected ("no connected instrument detected").

I have tried using Windows Driver Wizard to make MAX recognize the converter, but frankly was unable to follow the directions supplied here for generating and installilng a signed *.inf file.

Any help would be appreciated in steps i can take to get MAX and LabVIEW to recognize the power supply so i can get started on this project.

sincerely,

kevin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,614 Views)
I can't say what might be wrong but trying to use the VISA wizard is an incredibly silly thing to try.

It is also silly to try anything in LabVIEW until the device is correctly recognized in windows and in MAX. Have you tried a repair or reinstall?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,609 Views)

Are you sure it is an NI USB-GPIB interface?  Did you reboot your computer after installing the drivers?  Were there any instruments listed under the GPIB-VXI Interfaces?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,606 Views)

I saw a few other threads suggest the Wizard so i thought i'd give it a shot.  I did try a repair but no errors/solutions were found.  And yes i did reinstall the driver.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,602 Views)

And crossrulz: yes it is an NI USB-GPIB interface.  I did a restart after installation.  And there were no instruments listed under the GPIB-VXI Interfaces.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,601 Views)

I'm a bit late to this topic, so you may not be working with this issue anymore. If you are still trying to get it to work, can you look at some details in Device Manager? On your unrecognized device that corresponds to the GPIB-USB-B, open up its properties, go to the Details tab, and view the Hardware Ids item. Tell us what you see as the Value for this property.

For example, my GPIB-USB-B has the following under Hardware Ids:

USB\VID_3923&PID_702A&REV_0001

USB\VID_3923&PID_702A

Your might not be the same, the GPIB-USB-B has one ID when it is first plugged in, then the ID changes after the firmware has been loaded to the device. Once you let us know what values are found in your control panel, we may be able to help identify the cause of the problem.

-Jason Smith

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,520 Views)