Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nikon j1

Hi,

I just bought three cameras Nikon 1J1 cause I need to record a high speed video of my experiment from three different angles. My problem now is that I would like to synchronize the DAQ using Labview but I'm not sure how to do that. I've been synchronizing with the use of light but I'd prefer to have a better control of the acquisition. Does some of you have tried something like this?, and if so, what recommendations do you have?

Even comments about DAQ with one of this cameras will be greatly appreciated, I have some experience with synchronization but no idea how to connect these kind of cameras.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,304 Views)

Lee, 

What DAQ are you using? There is a tutorial on synchronization and cameras, and then you can find information about synchronization just with DAQ here

Let me know if those help!

Katie

Katie Collette
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,296 Views)

Hi Katie,

Thank you very much for the links, I've been reviewing them and find them very useful already.

About the DAQ system for the cameras I haven't decided on what to use yet. I'm not even sure what's available for this kind of cameras (they're practically new in the market). Have you ever used this kind of cameras before?, can you recomend a DAQ system for them?

Thanks again for your help, Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,283 Views)

Lee, 

I haven't actually worked with that specific camera before. I took a look, and it doesn't seem to have an external trigger? I could just be missing it. We do have some software that works with some cameras, but unfortunately not with this model. What exactly are you hoping to do with the DAQ and the camera?

Katie

Katie Collette
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,269 Views)

Hi,

I need to grab high speed videos from three different angles of my experiment. I was using a Casio Exilim before (two of them) but I triggered them manually and then synchronized the videos by a visual signal I created around the experiment. I needed to include more cameras and the Casio is not available anymore so I switched to the Nikon. My problem with this camera is that it only records 5 seconds per video so if I do the same as with the Casio I only get about 2 seconds of data so I thought I may be able to use some DAQ system to control them from my computer.

I contacted Nikon and waiting for a response about external control of the camera.

I'm also using a set of Dalsa cameras and PCI-1422 cards for the DAQ, I need to synchronize the acquisition too on those ones and all the links you sent first have been really useful.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,264 Views)

Lee, 

I'm glad to help! Let me know when you hear back from Nikon. How you are able to externally trigger the camera will be a major factor in DAQ selection. 

How did you import the video previously? 

Katie

Katie Collette
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,254 Views)