Instrument Control (GPIB, Serial, VISA, IVI)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sendIFC reports EDVR(0), ibcntl = 0xE1080013

I'm getting a weird error all of a sudden from a test program written in VB6 that has been working fine for years.

Yesterday I had to replace a PC that was running a test program written in VB6 that controls multiple instruments through a PCI-GPIB card run by the NI drivers.  I installed NI-488.2 version 2.7.3 and the IVI drivers from the August 2011 device drivers DVD so I can also run labview code that I currently have in development for new products.  I'm using the same PCI-USB card that was in the old system, and I'm running the same executable that I was running before the swap.

The PC that I was using before yesterday never gave me a problem, but now I'm getting an error during the run of the test program.  Trace file is included.  At line 589 I get an error when sending an IFC command.  As you can see, I send IFC multiple times in the same code without any issue at all.  I've never had a problem with this before on any other machine.

Can anyone help me figure out why I'm getting an error now when I've never had a problem before?

--

Ro ma wa ichi ni chi ni shi te na ra zu
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,817 Views)

So has nobody had a sendifc error that seems to crop up for no reason?

--

Ro ma wa ichi ni chi ni shi te na ra zu
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,808 Views)

gdecker,

I found a forum post from nc_pa, who was experiencing a similar error to you. This forum post can be found at http://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument-Control-GPIB-Serial/EDVR-errors/m-p/1559964

It appears he was able to fix his error by upgrading NI-488.2 to the most recent version. I see that you are using version 2.7.3. I would recommend upgrading to the most recent version (3.0.2) from http://joule.ni.com/nidu/cds/view/p/id/2922/lang/en to see if that stops this error from occuring.

The error you are encountering is EDVR(0). More information on this error can be found in the NI-488.2 User Manual at http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/370428l.pdf

Here is the information on EDVR(0) copied from the manual:

EDVR is returned when the interface or device name passed to ibfind, or the interface index passed to ibdev, cannot be accessed. The global function Ibcnt contains an error code. This error occurs when you try
to access an interface or device that is not installed or configured properly.

EDVR is also returned if there is an internal driver error.

Solutions
Possible solutions for this error are as follows:

• Use ibdev to open a device without specifying its symbolic name.
  • Use only device or interface names that are configured in the GPIB Configuration utility as parameters to the ibfind function.
  • Use the NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility to ensure that each interface you want to access is working properly, as follows:

(Windows)
1. Select Start » Programs » National Instruments » Measurement & Automation.
2. Select Help » Troubleshooting » NI-488.2 Troubleshooting Utility.
(Mac OS X) Run Applications » National Instruments » NI-488.2 » Troubleshoot.
(Linux) Enter the following command:
<InstallDir>/natinst/ni4882/bin/gpibtsw
where <InstallDir> is the directory where you chose to install NI-488.2. The default is /usr/local.

Jared A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,804 Views)