LabVIEW 2022 Public Beta

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Source Code Control for Mac OS?

Looking for improvements in source code control and VI comparison merge.  But in the preferences I only get the option none.  There is git installed on the machine and I use it through SourceTree.  There are some weirdnesses of trying to get git to ignore different line endings in some of the project files....

But the only option in the preferences is "none".

sth_1-1655267730104.png

LabVIEW ChampionLabVIEW Channel Wires

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(2,400 Views)

Hopefully someone from NI can clarify but my understanding was that the changes aren't to do with the providers in the project but just to make the vicompare etc. easier to call from the command line with git directly.

(I think those providers are pretty tied to the idea of a centralised SCM system and I don't ever expect much git support through them, but I'd like to be wrong!)

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(2,359 Views)

James is correct; we've been working on improvements to Compare VIs (aka diff), but we're not planning to integrate git with the LabVIEW editor in the near future. Currently, the only source control provider that LabVIEW integrates into the editor on non-Windows platforms is Perforce.

Christina Rogers
Principal Product Owner, LabVIEW R&D
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(2,330 Views)

@Christina_R wrote:

Currently, the only source control provider that LabVIEW integrates into the editor on non-Windows platforms is Perforce.

That was the missing piece of information.  I was assuming that you would support git as one of the most prevalent SCC systems.  Or even hg.  But Perforce is a more commercial (and expensive) system and I did not know that it is beginning to support other platforms and maybe should look into it.

Would it be that difficult to integrate the git as a SCC API?  I would think it easier than Perforce with all the overhead instead of the relatively simple git calls.  But YMMV.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(2,323 Views)

@sth wrote:

@Christina_R wrote:

Currently, the only source control provider that LabVIEW integrates into the editor on non-Windows platforms is Perforce.

That was the missing piece of information.  I was assuming that you would support git as one of the most prevalent SCC systems.  Or even hg.  But Perforce is a more commercial (and expensive) system and I did not know that it is beginning to support other platforms and maybe should look into it.

Would it be that difficult to integrate the git as a SCC API?  I would think it easier than Perforce with all the overhead instead of the relatively simple git calls.  But YMMV.

The Perforce integration has been in LabVIEW for a VERY long time.  From my understanding, NI was using Perforce.  Therefore they were more inclined to have built-in support for Perforce.

Looking at the options for configuring source control options (in 2021 and 8.2), I'm actually a little surprised to see Surround SCM in the supported tools, which we use here for project documents.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(2,313 Views)

I wonder how much glue is needed to stick in support for more common SCC systems such as git (hg, svn etc.).  Here is a good project for G-Central to farm out to enterprising coders.  (or a summer intern project at NI?)

I would really like a good SCC and have ignored this for too long.  I mostly worked alone for many years.  About 2 years ago, I started putting new projects on a git server and collaborating/archiving code for others.  I will continue to use SourceTree as my GUI for git but I always wondered what the advantage of using an internal SCM within LV was.  Hopefully the new integration with Compare/Merge??  Maybe there isn't much advantage to that internal SCM.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 20
(2,307 Views)

@sth wrote:

I wonder how much glue is needed to stick in support for more common SCC systems such as git (hg, svn etc.).  Here is a good project for G-Central to farm out to enterprising coders.  (or a summer intern project at NI?)

I'm under the impression the Hg is pretty much dead.

There are tools available for adding SVN support by Viewpoint and JKI.  It looks like they both are made for Tortoise SVN.

So then the question is really with Git.  If there are already SCC hooks, I don't see a reason it couldn't be opened up for somebody to make a plugin.

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(2,302 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:
I'm under the impression the Hg is pretty much dead.

There are tools available for adding SVN support by Viewpoint and JKI.  It looks like they both are made for Tortoise SVN.

So then the question is really with Git.  If there are already SCC hooks, I don't see a reason it couldn't be opened up for somebody to make a plugin.

I don't see much future for Hg (or SVN and CVS is really gone). Git is probably the most widespread at the moment.  However in thinking ahead the plugins should be easily modifiable to handle future opportunities and not committing to Tortoise SVN for example.

Just my $0.02 worth.  This is really part of the debate on "Info-LabVIEW" back in the 90s when the question was "Is LabVIEW a real programming language?"  What are the necessary parts of an IDE that make something a "real language"?  Still don't have a complete answer but SCC was one of them. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(2,298 Views)

SCC in LabVIEW is one of those features I see that lots of work was put into, and then no one uses.  In my 18 years of LabVIEW I saw one company use it for one project.  Often I'll teach LabVIEW and someone will find that menu only for me to say how no one uses it.  It either needs to be modular and open for extension, or it shouldn't exist.  Coding practices and tools mature all the time.  Adding support for SCC and then only hard coding a couple tools will result in the IDE feeling dated in a few short years.  Or in this case a couple decades of stagnation. I was surprised to hear that any SCC worked in Mac.  If NI used Perforce, I guess it is expected that it is the only one.  I get why NI doesn't remove the feature, but maybe they should disable the menu item by default or something.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 20
(2,288 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

SCC in LabVIEW is one of those features I see that lots of work was put into, and then no one uses.  In my 18 years of LabVIEW I saw one company use it for one project.  Often I'll teach LabVIEW and someone will find that menu only for me to say how no one uses it.  It either needs to be modular and open for extension, or it shouldn't exist.  Coding practices and tools mature all the time.  Adding support for SCC and then only hard coding a couple tools will result in the IDE feeling dated in a few short years.  Or in this case a couple decades of stagnation. I was surprised to hear that any SCC worked in Mac.  If NI used Perforce, I guess it is expected that it is the only one.  I get why NI doesn't remove the feature, but maybe they should disable the menu item by default or something.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I would like NI to spend some time removing obscure/unused features.  This would make the actual install smaller and remove weird interactions in the code base.

In the case of the SCC, I would like to see the actual implementations removed from the LabVIEW core and just leave hooks for whoever to make plugins for whatever SCC tool is desired.  As part of this effort, NI could move the current implementations into plugins available through VIPM or even NIPM.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(2,283 Views)