LabVIEW APIs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programmatically Disable control Right-click menu

Thanks AristosQueue. It's exactly what i'm looking for. I will test today. I try to create one JKI_RCF plugin and/or a QD plugin. I'm always in LV2011. Thanks Comrade and Tst for your  contribution

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(2,505 Views)

I must've been really looking forward to vacation when I posted that. I'm not sure why I added the flat sequence. This works just fine.

Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(2,505 Views)

Hi  Finally i have found one simplest way to do that, without any needs to put it in diagram. You can use this property :Lock Right-Click Control menu.png

(sorry It's in French and i don't know the english name , but with the snippet you can obtain it in your language.)

It is useful if you want make one tool like QD or RCF to lock or unlock Right Click menus for all controls of one front panel (and for all panels) in same time.

Message 13 of 21
(2,505 Views)

English: Front Panel Window:Allow Runtime PopUp (FP.AllowRTPopup).

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(2,505 Views)

GregS wrote:

English: Front Panel Window:Allow Runtime PopUp (FP.AllowRTPopup).

I totally did not know about that bit of functionality. Glad you found it.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(2,505 Views)

Now that the epiphany has occurred for everybody around here, go back and re-read comrade's first reply where he describes this exact property, and his next reply where he again brings it up. 

And since that post did not fully sink in apparently allow me to rephrase.  That property is essentially ticking or un-ticking that box inside the Custom Window Appearance properties.  This will allow or disallow the default pop-up menus, custom ones are still allowed.  This may be desired, it may not, that was not clear.  Maybe it relies on the fact that about 0.1% of VIs have customized RTMs....

Message 16 of 21
(2,505 Views)

I thought he was using the word "property" in the sense of the VI Property Pages. I didn't know we could programmatically manipulate that.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(2,505 Views)

I missed that original post too

I wonder if the reason 0.1% of VIs have custom RTMs is that they're not that easy to set up? I really don't like having to have separate menu files - one for each FP menu bar, plus one for each control.  Or if not, then I need to code an event handler for right-click popups, and repeat it everywhere I use a control. 

A start would be to save a RTM directly in the .ctl file, but ideally, both the menu and the handling code would all be bundled into a single unit.  Someone will suggest an XControl is the answer, but that's way too cumbersome, and it stops behaving like any regular control - we need something much lighter and more transparent, that can have a default behaviour, but be easily extended for a particular usage, in the same way that builtin controls can.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(2,505 Views)

Since I don't know anything about UI programming in text-based languages I would be interested in whether the features you propose here are common functionalities in (ANSI) C(#/++...) - meaning:

Would these features, in terms of creating UIs, advance LabVIEW further in a field where I personally find this language already to be vastly ahead or would they make things more even?

Of course, things can always be improved, but how much effort would have to be put into getting custom RTMs behaving like they should when using a language other than LabVIEW.

Don't get me wrong - what I'm asking is simply whether there is the same amount of work to do (seperate file ("includes"), event handlers for managing the menus etc.) in text-based programming? If the answer is YES, I'd deem it less likely for your wishes to become fulfilled within a reasonable amount of time...

Apart from my lengthy (and possibly pointless) question up to here - I whole-heartedly second your request. The somewhat cumbersome management of RTMs in LabVIEW still makes me refraining from using them wherever I can...

By the way - happy 2015 to everyone!

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(2,505 Views)

My experience with that kind of functionality is that it requires in any environment quite a bit of extra work, be it either explicit code programming like in C or more template like setup in other environments. It's a hassle to maintain and keep up to date and if you add multiple language support to the app it really gets messy.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(2,505 Views)