LabVIEW APIs Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a "very special" software

At this link  http://tinyurl.com/yz7joxt there is what i made using LabVIEW, Lua and a tons of labVIEW scripting functions.

The video only show a preview of the whole tool potentiality, just to stimulate your curiosity

Any comment, question or feedback is very appreciated.

Ciao,

Alessandro.

Alessandro Ricco
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,145 Views)

Hello,

This is interesting. I can see that you have put considerable work into it; however, I'm not sure how practical this solution is.

Your description states that this software offers the ability to Build graphically its own user interface, link objects on the user interface with a database and define some calculation and logic on the data and on the user interface objects -- all things that can be done in LabVIEW.

After reading your description and watching the video, it appears that you have essentially created a new development environment that adds another layer of complexity to code development -- meaning that the effort required to create the code shown in your demonstration was greater than if you had simply used LabVIEW, so I'm wondering why not just use LabVIEW?

Could you please provide additional information that might help to clarify the objectives of the project and why this particular implementation was chosen?

Thanks,

Mark Ridgley

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,968 Views)

Hello Mark,

the sw in the video is only a part of a bigger project including other part.

One permit the user to define "object" and place in on a DB graphically the video show the sw the user use to create its ui and connect it to DB object.

For sure LabVIEW can do the work but we want a customized tool only with a precise subset of let say LabVIEW feature, we decide that LabVIEW is too much in this case, our user don't know LabVIEW at all.

For example we need only 10-15 type of UI control Indicator each with few properties available, also we deceide to have an ad-hoc "code executor engine" this means that user can create its own script but the execution flow is fixed and decided by our engine, is true that the code to script the UI is more complex than labVIEW but what i show in the video is a "non usual" way to use the tool, in 90% of the case a user place a control\indicator on the UI the "bind" it to a DB object using a tree view controll.

Hoper ths respond to your question

Alessandro

Alessandro Ricco
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,968 Views)

Alessandro,

Thanks for your reply.

It definitely helped to clarify your project and made it clear that the users of your solution have very limited LabVIEW knowledge. In that case, limiting the type of UI controls and Indicators and the properties made available to your users makes a lot of sense.

One thing that I would be concerned about is if your users start requesting that you include additional controls / indicators and access to more properties. If they do, then your solution would start approaching the capabilities of LabVIEW and would therefore require more time to develop and maintain.

Your project is an interesting one, so I'm hoping that you keep the group informed of your progress.

Best of luck!

Mark Ridgley

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,968 Views)

Have you seen the LabVIEW notebook pioneer?

Its different yet has some very very similar concepts.

Your input on that would be very valuable

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhPrifPgABo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OhPrifPgABo&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,968 Views)