LabVIEW Embedded

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can labview be used to listen spi communication between other devices

i have a system where in the main controller and the safety controller communicate over spi. can labview be used to log the communication between the two conrollers?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,627 Views)
You may go for NI USB-8451 card. Logging rate will be limited due to USB communication. Faster rates can be achieved by SPI implementation in FPGA DIO cards.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(8,626 Views)

i have PCI 7830R card available. can you give me any links or related material on how to go about using it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(8,624 Views)

You got a multi function FPGA card. 

Here you  have to implement SPI protocol on DIO lines of FPGA card. Make sure your SPI implementation is optimized to use the DAQ functionality(You just got 1Million gates for your FPGA card.)

You should install Labview RT and FPGA with PCI -7830 drivers.

NI R Series Multifunction RIO User Manual

Other info 

Message Edited by manumohannair on 03-22-2010 05:24 AM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,616 Views)
i have searched on the net and found Vi's where labview is used as master in the communication. need help with when labview is used as just a logger.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,607 Views)
Can you please attach the VI to this forum ?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,603 Views)
here wat i found on the net. there are vi's for master and slave. can the slave VI be used to for the purpose. i want to record both side communication thru labview. i was using the beagle SPI analyzer for the purpose, but facing some problems. want to to the same thru labview.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,601 Views)

can the slave VI be used to for the purpose?

You seems correct as Read(F) case of FPGA SPI Slave.vi(from attached zip project) performs a read operation as per SPI shift register length and SCLK. You may implement the same for reading MOSI and MISO data between both the controllers.2 Parallel independent FPGA threads for reading Master and Slave should make it easy for you.

I would suggest you to implement an intermediate buffer(separate 1D array for MISO and MOSI) between logging application and FPGA application to sync high speed acquisiton and low speed logging.

Never used Beagle though good to have a third party bus analyzers to verify your acquired data . I would really appreciate if you let us know the progress :)...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,591 Views)
The maximum supported clock rate of PCI-7830 is 40 Mhz. Please make sure your SCLK comes under this frequency (Typical SCLK values can go upto 70 MHz) .

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,590 Views)