LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 DC Motor Control with Arduino

Hello,

I have a simple problem, but I need help determining the proper hardware to purchase. My project will be to control two DC motors from a LabView GUI, and I was hoping to use the Arduino Uno device for communications via LIFA. One of my DC motors will require an optical encoder with z-channel output (the index) so I can set a home position. After that, all I need is to control the speed of that motor. The other motor will simply run until one of two limit switches is contacted.

To break it down, I have:

- 2 DC motors

- 1 optical encoder with z-channel output

- 2 limit switches

I have already developed the code for my project, I just need help finding the best interface to connect to my devices. I have considered the Arduino Uno, but, from what I understand, the Arduino requires a shield with an H-bridge to control the motors.

Is there support for controlling DC motors through a shield on the Arduino from LabView?

- If not, is there a solution around this that still uses the Arduino?

- Or, is there another controller that would accomplish the same result at a price similar to the Arduino?

Finally, what would be the best hardware (Arduino or not) for this purpose? I would like to keep the price as low as possible (less than $150 total). Unfortunately, this rules out most, if not all, of the NI devices, which are very nice.

Regards,

TC

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,716 Views)

Your combination of inputs and outputs is not cmpatible with LIFA.  LIFA does not support all of the features you specified.

My suggestion is

One, use an Arduino Mega.  You need the additional digital inputs and outputs.

Two,  do a Google search on the phrase "Arduino dual motor control".  You will get several good hits

Three, to use Labview to control your hardwarwe use the serial interface capability of Labview and an Arduino Mega.  You will need to build a Labview program to communicate with an Arduino Mega and add communication code to your Arduino Mega.

This approach does not use LIFA

Howard

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,748 Views)