LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing EEPROM Melexis MLX90614 IR Temperature Sensors with LIFA

Hi everybody!

This is my first post so please let me know if im missing anything

What im trying to do is access the eeprom data from my mlx90614 IR temperature sensors. link to data sheet here (http://www.melexis.com/Infrared-Thermometer-Sensors/Infrared-Thermometer-Sensors/MLX90614-615.aspx).

Im new-ish to labview (doing a mechatronics module at uni) and have installed the LIFA and have been able to establish a connection with the arduino.

My problem is with actually accessing the mlx90614 eeprom so that i can read off / graph the temperature reading. I have connected the sensor to the arduino via I2C and can get data from that via its serial monitor, but i dont know how to access the eeprom from labview.

thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(7,666 Views)

Hey,

Right now there is no method through LIFA to access the eeprom (its on the list of features we want to implement). You would need to write some custom firmware code to add to the current LIFA sketch as well as the LabVIEW code to go along with it. This wouldn't be super hard since you would just need to interface with the existing eeprom arduino libraries but if you are just getting started its not trivial either. Maybe someone else in the community has already implemented this functionality-I haven't seen anything posted on the forums though.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
Message 2 of 4
(4,013 Views)

Hi thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not interfacing with the arduino EEPROM but the device EEPROM and just need to read a value at an address from the device (0x5A). Looking round at other vi's is it possible to if I were to add an array? I don't mind trying to implement my code in the lifa but if I'm able I do it graphically would be brilliant.

No probs if not.

Cheers matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,013 Views)

According to the data sheet,  Section 8.4.3.1, all you need to do is change the command field to rselect whether you read  from RAM or EEPROM.  Section 8.4.6 shows the coding for RAM or EEPROM access.  Hemce as far as LIFA is concerned there is no difference between reading from RAM or E EPROM.  Hence I have two suggestions.  One double check your coding for EEPROM access. Have your made the appropriate change to your read request?   If you have made the appropriate change in the coding and it still doesn't work then you  need to contact Melexis. . 

Howard

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,013 Views)