cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading SPI of MAX31855

Solved!
Go to solution

OK thank you.  I may give that a try.

Why did they not include this in the newest base release?

0 Kudos
Message 61 of 130
(4,922 Views)

I'm really not sure why they wouldn't include it in the newest release I made my boards available on eBay http://r.ebay.com/2YAJKX if you go to https://www.facebook.com/DavesComputerAndElectronics you can see more pics of the board and even a SketchUp 3D drawing I made of the board I use. when I designed the board I had to order 100 of them so I have alot left over.

Message was edited by: LeXLuther422 updated selling link

0 Kudos
Message 62 of 130
(4,922 Views)

So I got it up and running now and it is talking with the arduino now.  That is good.  Still not getting correct temp data but my TC may be bad.  It was some scrap from a multimeter.

Do you know what the three error leds mean?  I was looking for that but can not find it.

0 Kudos
Message 63 of 130
(4,922 Views)

First should be Shorted to GND second Shorted to VCC and third is Open

0 Kudos
Message 64 of 130
(4,922 Views)

I assume that is an error on the TC input it self?

0 Kudos
Message 65 of 130
(4,922 Views)

yes tha MAX chip reports if there is a error with the TC

0 Kudos
Message 66 of 130
(4,922 Views)

Cool.  It seems to be working in terms of talking to the MAX chip.  If i remove the TC I do get the open error.  But some other random stuff is going on.  I am going to order a known good TC then continue with this experiment.

Thanks for all the help!

0 Kudos
Message 67 of 130
(4,922 Views)

Hi,

I'm having some difficulties getting the MAX31855, Arduino and LabView to run. I'm also using the Adafruit breakout board (v 2.0)

http://www.adafruit.com/products/269

and the code from the zip file: LIFA_MAX31855_LV9

When I use the Adafruit library everything works fine and I get the correct temperature (breakout board and TC work fine). However, when I use the custom firmware from the zip and run the LabView Example (MAX31855 Example.vi) the temperatures don't really make sense. When I touch the TC the CJC temperature seems to go up but the TC temperature doesn't change.

Any ideas/thoughts what could be the problem?

Cheers,

Thorsten

0 Kudos
Message 68 of 130
(4,922 Views)

I managed to get this code to work for one chip (thanks a lot!), but now I'd like to read more than one thermocouple. I've tried putting two get short modules in a while loop and just about every related combination I can think of, but I just get garbage numbers. I can't figure out how to change the pin numbers of the get short module in the while loop. I've thought of rotating the chip select signal to diferent pins, but placing the inititialization module in the while loop also causes garbage results. Could you please advise on what I need to do? Is there still no official documentation or update on this specific application?

Thanks!

LeXLuther422 wrote:

I'm gonna open yours next have a look at mine and what I did in the code to make it work

0 Kudos
Message 69 of 130
(4,922 Views)

Have a look at post 21 and the way the wireing is from the Index Array in Read Raw Data.vi to the two Join Number blocks and that will get rid of the jumbled data. I'm gonna look for some more jumper wire then try with a second module.

0 Kudos
Message 70 of 130
(4,922 Views)