LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepper Motor VI - Problem with # of Steps?

Hey Everyone,

I've been having a lot of success using LIFA to control multiple stepper motors through the Allegro 4987 IC found on the Sparkfun EasyStepper and QuadStepper boards.  There's been one glitch in the matrix that I haven't been able to track down yet though...  For some reason, the number of steps recognized by my 4987 from steppermotor.vi is off by a consistent factor of 4.  So on my 200step/rev motors, for example, I'm having to enter 800 steps into the steppermotor.vi to get a complete revolution. 

Another forum member has had problems interfacing with an Allegro 4988 in this post, and reported a large number of missed steps and a death knell sounding from his motors.  However, I'm hesitant to attribute what I'm experiencing to missed steps, as the 4x error factor is remarkably consistent to within .5° positioning, and for various loading conditions.  My motors are sounding fine too.

My first thought was I just had the wrong microstepping selection, but I've checked this over the full range of microstepping possibilities and always get the same error factor of 4. To get a full revolution on my default 200step/rev motors, I'm needing to enter the following into the steppermotor.vi:

Full Step - 800steps   (should be 200)

Half Step - 1600steps  (should be 400)

Quarter Step - 3200steps (should be 800)

Eight Step - 6400steps  (should be 1600)

Sixteenth Step - 12800 steps (should be 3200)

Any idea why the steppermotor.vi program would consistently send out 4 times fewer steps than the value entered?

Thanks for your help!

Zach

Message 1 of 3
(4,158 Views)

Hello,

I'm having the same problem. I'm using LIFA with an Arduino Mega 2560 and a Leadshine DM432C driver. Have you possibly come across a solution to your problem?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,773 Views)

Hello Sir

I am having difficulties in controlling the stepper motor using the LIFA

can u please tell me how you did yours

I hope to hear from you soon

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,773 Views)