LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Synchronization LIFA

What I meant is in LabVIEW. In LIFA, we use Init to and that is connected to the arduino? If Im not gonna use LIFA, Init will not be used right? What will be the replacement of Init for non LIFA? I havent seen relates articles or works regarding that.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 44
(1,510 Views)

If you don't use a modified version of LIFA, you need to use the VISA serial functions.  Those are the same functions that LIFA uses to communicate with the Arduino.  The only difference is that you get to decide how you send and receive the data.  IIRC, hrh1818 has posted some examples in the Documents tab like this one.

0 Kudos
Message 32 of 44
(1,510 Views)

hrh1818,

So, I started digging deeper into this and I think it could be done all in API mode.  As far as I understand it, it would simply add some overhead to the communication.  Figuring out the overhead could be complicated.

API Mode details start on page 58 of the manual.

As far as I understand, using API mode would not require any changes of the Arduino firmware (Ref:  Page 20 in this doc).

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 44
(1,510 Views)

Ok thank you! ill try to read this. If I have any question Ill ask you or hrh1818

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 44
(1,510 Views)

Attached is a zip folder containing a Continuous Serial Write and Read.VI.  Use this VI as the starting point for a Labview program to send commands to an Arduino boards, collect data from Arduino boards and display the data.  This Continuous Serial Write and Read.VI is an example program that comes with Labview 2013 and has been saved for use with Labview 2010, 2012 and 2012.

Hrh1818

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 44
(1,510 Views)

Hello Nathan,

I see you have been busy digging into the XBee manuals.   I took a quick look at the API mode information and decided it would be to complicated for shogunato3 to implement and I was unwilling to spend time learning how to use the API mode.  If there was a reasonable probability the API mode would be needed in the future then it would be advantages to spend time learning how to use the API mode. 

The book "Wireless Sensor Networks" has a chapter on API and Sensor Networks.   You may find it helpful.

hrh1818

0 Kudos
Message 36 of 44
(1,510 Views)

hrh1818 wrote:

Attached is a zip folder containing a Continuous Serial Write and Read.VI.  Use this VI as the starting point for a Labview program to send commands to an Arduino boards, collect data from Arduino boards and display the data.  This Continuous Serial Write and Read.VI is an example program that comes with Labview 2013 and has been saved for use with Labview 2010, 2012 and 2012.

Hrh1818

I will try to use this. Thank You! Im reading the manuals Nathan gave to me.

From the LIFa that I will upload in arduino. Can I still add other codes there?

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 44
(1,510 Views)

Your question:  From the LIFa that I will upload in arduino. Can I still add other codes there?

An Aduino will only run the last uploaded sketch.  Therefor if you add other code there it will wipe out the LIFA code you pereviously uploaded. 

If opne of your requirements is to use LIFA then keep reading the manuals Nathan provided links to,   Nathan's suggestion to use XBee's API mode has a lot of merits. 

The method I suggested does not use LIFA.

hrh1818

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 44
(1,510 Views)

I should have said, we know that to use LIFA, a default sketch will be uploaded right?

In that sketch, can I add a code. A temperature indicator in which I dont have to send it to LabVIEW and be analyzed then send back to arduino. That is possible right?

0 Kudos
Message 39 of 44
(1,510 Views)

How would you be indicating it?

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 44
(1,510 Views)