LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does the Duration control do in the Tone example?

I am taking a look at the Tone Example.vi example that ships with LIFA.  The pulse is generated on pin 3 of the Arduino Uno, and this pin is connected to a scope. I set the frequency at 200 Hz, 500 Hz etc... and the square wave on the scope shows up as expected.

However, I do not see any changes on the signal when the "duration" control is changed... what is this control supposed to do ?

Thx.

Laurent

PS: I also altered the vi by only calling the Tone.vi only when a change on either Frequency, or Duration is detected. This drastically reduce the RX .TX operations between the PC and the Arduino

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,679 Views)

Laurent,

The frequency and duration are passed to the Tone function:

http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/Tone

-Sam K

LIFA Developer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,447 Views)

Yes I can see it is passed to the tone input of the Tone function. But using the

VI example: Tone Example.vi, and looking at the signal on a scope, the duration input

seems to have no effect at all.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,447 Views)

Hey Laurent,

The duration input doesn't have an affect in the example because the VI calls the function over and over again in a loop.  If you want the Tone VI to only execute for a certain amount of time you will need to take it outside of the loop. The duration input probably shouldn't be user-settable for this example since it is not going to have an affect.

Kevin Fort
Principal Software Engineer
NI
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,447 Views)

Hi Kevin,

As I mentioned earlier Ialtered the vi by only calling the Tone.vi only when a change on either Frequency, or Duration is detected. So in effect the call to done is done once before a parameter change is done by the user, still the duration has no effect. The tone (square signal on my scope) does not end.  I will double-check this, but I am pretty sure of the behavior now.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,447 Views)

Hey Laurent,

You are correct there is something goofy going on with the LIFA Tone call.  Ill take a look at it more and see if I can figure out whats going on.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,447 Views)

Ha ! .

By the way, my application actually does not need the pulse to stop. The tone.vi , with its quirk, is a nice easy way to generate an on-going pulse at variable frequencies.

However, fixing it may be useful in general.

L.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,447 Views)

Allright I found our error. You can look forward to that fix coming up in the next firmware release.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Kevin Fort
NI
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,447 Views)

By the sound of it, the error in the firmware? not the VI ?

L

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,447 Views)

The error was in the firmware (order of operations problem with the binary math)

Kevin Fort
NI
Message 10 of 10
(3,447 Views)