LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A log file produced by an executable that I never before noticed.

I just noticed that an executable which I routinely use produces a log file when it is run in my C:\Users\[username)\AppData\Local\Temp directory.  I've attached a copy of a typical log file.  The portion of the file up through the "starting LabVIEW Execution System 2 Thread 7" line is written when the application is started. The remainder of the file is written when the application exits. This remainder of the file contains what appear to be a sizable number of "VI_BROKEN (0):" and "VirtualInstrument::SetOrClearBadVILibrary - now VI is bad on..." error(?) messages. These messages seem to be associated with the process of saving application configuration data to an INI file, yet even though error checking/reporting is being done throughout the application, no errors are reported while the application remains running, during the updating of the file. And the INI file that is written during shutdown is properly updated.

Has anyone else seen log files like this and can you explain what's going on?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,114 Views)

Hi WNM,

I have noticed those log files for all my (LabVIEW created) tools.

Those files are locked as long as the associated app is running.

I don't care of those log files…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,086 Views)

I have never noticed this when running any of my LabVIEW built executables. Interesting file though!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,046 Views)

WNM,

There are several other threads that include log files like these:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/NI-FileType-lvlib-Random-Application-Crashes/td-p/3281504

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/cRIO-application-works-in-interactive-mode-but-br...

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LV2017-built-EXE-crashes-Channels-behave-bad/td-p/3660916

Extra log files are typically in place in case an unexpected crash takes place, so that some information about the system can be tracked.

What exactly is happening with your system?

-PahlM

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,002 Views)

It's quite common when LabVIEW crashes. But you can also cause LabVIEW to create it by adding some debug entries to the LabVIEW.ini file. And when you build an application LabVIEW takes certain values from your LabVIEW.ini file and adds them to a generic <MyApp>.ini file that it creates if your Application Build configuration doesn't already reference such a <MyApp>.ini file.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,991 Views)

As I said, the file is created and partially populated with information when the executable is launched so I don't think it's the result of any sort of crash.  I looked into the INI file associated with the executable and found this:

[Component Data Search Tool II]
server.app.propertiesEnabled=True
server.ole.enabled=True
server.tcp.paranoid=True
server.tcp.serviceName="My Computer/VI Server"
server.vi.callsEnabled=True
server.vi.propertiesEnabled=True
WebServer.TcpAccess="c+*"
WebServer.ViAccess="+*"
DebugServerEnabled=False
DebugServerWaitOnLaunch=False
appFont=""Tahoma" 13"
dialogFont=""Tahoma" 13"
systemFont=""Tahoma" 13"
FPFont=""Tahoma" 13"

And I eventually pared it down to only this:

[Component Data Search Tool II]

and still the log file is produced, essentially unchanged in its content.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,976 Views)

WNM,

The log file is not generated as a result of a crash, instead it is created in case of a crash.

Regards,

PahlM

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,955 Views)