LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding FPGA reference causes problems

Hi,

I have a programme which runs on the RT engine and calls up an FPGA reference, samples data from this and then carries out some calculations on it.  I'm currently trying to modify this to add more functionality, but have hit a problem.  The picture attached is the original programme which works fine, but when I add another "Open FPGA VI reference" above the one shown, which is targeted to the same PXI 7833R card, but calls a different VI, it causes the original code to stop running properly.  I haven't been able to track down the root of the problem, but it appears to be affecting the sampling of data in the original programme.  I'm thinking it is something to do with timing as I haven't changed a single part of the programme except adding this extra FPGA reference, so all I think it could be affecting is the speed the programme runs at.
Does anyone know of any problems associated with opening two FPGA references at once?

Just in case you need to know, I'm running Labview 7.1, with a PXI 1042 chassis, PXI 8186 controller, PXI 7833R FPGA card and PXI 8461 CAN card.

Thanks,
Nick
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(6,925 Views)
Nick,

You can only have one VI running on a FPGA at a time. If you place more than one Open FPGA VI Reference node in your RT application each call to the node will replace the VI on the FPGA with the new VI. So in your case the second call to Open FPGA VI Reference removes the original FPGA VI and replaces it with the new VI.

If you want to add more code on the FPGA, you need to add it to your existing FPGA VI, recompile the VI, and download this updated VI from your RT application. In LabVIEW RT you can make branches of the FPGA reference so that you can access the FPGA using the Read/Write or Invoke node from multiple locations in your RT application.
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

Message 2 of 6
(6,915 Views)
I was worried you were going to say that.

Thanks for the help though, I'd best get on with it!

Nick
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,911 Views)
Hi,

I've made a start on this by adding the FPGA  VI I was trying to add a reference to as a sub VI in the reference I already had running.  So now I have one reference running both FPGAs I wanted.  Everything's wired up and ready to go, but compiling is taking way longer than it should do.  I'm worried that because I'm communicating with the sub VI though its front panel controls and indicators the arrays it's sending to the host VI are taking up too much memory on the FPGA device.  Could this be what is causing the slow compile?  And is there a way around this?

Thanks,
Nick
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,889 Views)
Nick,

As you add more code to the FPGA VI it will take longer to compile. If you get close to filling up the FPGA the compile time may increase significantly as the compiler spends more time to optimize the code that is generated to fit onto the FPGA.

Using large arrays on the front panel of the main VI or anywhere within your VIs will increase the size of the code and increase the compile time.

There are different ways to get around using large arrays but it is difficult to recommend a specific solution without knowing more about your application. All of these solutions will use the block memory available on the FPGA to store the data in one way or another. You should probably look at using FIFOs if you stream the data between the host and FPGA. Using FIFOs you can pass one data value at a time between host and FPGA, reading them from or writing them to the FIFO. You will need some form of handshaking to synchronize the host/FPGA communication.

An alternative is to use the DMA FIFOs which will further simplify the communication between host and FPGA.

If you want to pass blocks of data to the FPGA so that the data can be accessed repeatedly (like a lookup table) then you should use memory blocks on the FPGA to store your data. That provides random access by address to a predefined block of the memory on the FPGA.
authored by
Christian L, CLA
Systems Engineering Manager - Automotive and Transportation
NI - Austin, TX

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,839 Views)

Could you find an example of: "...you can make branches of the FPGA reference so that you can access the FPGA using the Read/Write or Invoke node from multiple locations in your RT application."??  This may be helpful for our application.  Thank you, John JSC/NASA

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,549 Views)