LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent E4440A display line and screen capture problem.

Hey guys,

I am dealing with agilent E4440A spectrum analyzer right now, and I met some little difficulties when using the driver.

My aim is to 1, control the analyzer by changing the parameters from the pc and gladly I did this.

2, use a marker to show the maximum value on the screen, and show a display line that can be controlled by labview, I can now use the marker correctly but I am not able to show display line using labview. I have found a vi corresponding to display line but it says that this vi can only work  under phase noise personality, I changed the personality but still cannot work. Then I tried another method which is shown below

but this one has undefined header.

3, capture the screen and save the gif or jpg into the pc. Does anyone knows what VI to be used here?

Thx a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 26
(4,673 Views)

Hi,

With this file you can develop functions you need to implement. I don't know what kind of drivers have been developed but you can program your own drivers thanks to this link :

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/E4440-90139.pdf

For further explanations, pls attach your VI.

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 26
(4,653 Views)

It's probably easier to get a raw trace and build the UI yourself with the LV graphing tools.  Use the NA display for visual reference only.  Instead, do the P/F calculations in LV itself.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 26
(4,646 Views)

THX a lot man, I managed to show the display line, then I tried to deal with screenshot.

Even though with programming guide, I cannot find out which one is the screenshot command, I searched the net and get one vi as follows

Untitled.png

But I always receives errors 1073807339.

I tried the method given here http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2208965FB36F63C3862570E700575074

But unfortunately my E4440A analyzer doesn have Config remote lang » Language » SCPI.

Do u know what is wrong with the VI? Or anything wrong with my analyzer settlements?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 26
(4,624 Views)

Thx man.

I need to save images of the screen just like press the save button on the analyzer, my team (although I am only an intern), especially my boss asks me to do this by this week, I got all the other functions ready except for the saving screenshot one.

I attached the VI at the earlier message, would u help me a bit checking the vi?

I really doubt the problem may be because the firmware is too old.

BTW, I tried to change the timeout but no matter how long the timeout is, same error appear.

I can now save gif file that is 0kb and the gif show 'No preview available'

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 26
(4,619 Views)

Hi,

I don't understand your problem 100%....

Are you using LabVIEW only to get that print screen ? Or are you using your instrument 100% in remote state ? (Open, Reset, Close, Config, Get Measurement, Get Screen, ...)

Are you able to comunicate with your instrument ?

I am asking that because the VISA ressource name you have, might be wrong.

Yours is like ; TCPIP1::156.140.151.116::inst0::INSTR

whereas considering your GPIB connection it should looks like

TCPIP0::192.168.38.118::gpib0,22::INSTR

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 26
(4,601 Views)

Hi Vincent,

I know what u mean, I can control my equipment already from labview, almost every function besides get screen.

I wanna use it in totally remote state.

The VI above is an example I downloaded from the net, I just want to try the function out first.

VISA resource name is the default one given by the code writer, I change that before running the vi.

With the correct VISA resource, the vi will get an error in the first read from VISA vi, it is a time-out error and the program cannot run.

I just want to settle this time-out problem. The read byte is already 1, it is small enough, but still I met time-out error, it confused me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 26
(4,596 Views)

Try out a VISA read after your VISA Write with smth like "2048" byte count to read. What do you get ?

BR,

Vincent

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 26
(4,592 Views)

cyzhang001 a écrit :

Hi Vincent,

I know what u mean, I can control my equipment already from labview, almost every function besides get screen.

I wanna use it in totally remote state.

The VI above is an example I downloaded from the net, I just want to try the function out first.

VISA resource name is the default one given by the code writer, I change that before running the vi.

With the correct VISA resource, the vi will get an error in the first read from VISA vi, it is a time-out error and the program cannot run.

I just want to settle this time-out problem. The read byte is already 1, it is small enough, but still I met time-out error, it confused me.

You get a timeout because there is nothing to read in the buffer. Before reading you need to initiate the file transfer. Often it is done with a print command. I don't remember for the E4440A (it is an old model) but I can answer that tomorrow I'm out of the office today.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 26
(4,588 Views)

Thx a lot man, I am an intern at a lab, we use E7405A, E7402A... No new models haha.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 26
(4,585 Views)