LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have any ideas on how to create hardware independent VISA drivers in Labview?

Looking for any ideas on developing hardware independent VISA drivers similar to IVI but using Labview 6.0.2.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,596 Views)
Could you explain a little more about what you have in mind? In one form or another I have been writing instrument drivers that have had some level of hardware independence since 1985--and in LabVIEW!

What are you wanting to do?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,596 Views)
I am trying to create VISA drivers using the NI model and use them in a structure similar to how the IVI drivers are used. I was thinking of maybe using an ini file to define the instrument model (ie Agilent 8153 or Agilent 8163) and dynamically load the driver for that model but before I explore that idea I thought I would ask around for some advice. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,596 Views)
A good starting point would be the Instrument Driver Development Tools & Resources web page.

As for how to develop a driver with some level of interchangeability, this will depend on your requirements. If you need only to swap between a handful of instruments, you can use case structures in your driver that send different commands to the instruments. If you want full coverage of all features of all instruments with full interchangeability, you will be hard pressed to find any architecture, including IVI, that can provide that. If your needs fall somewhere in between the previous two, I suggest using IVI. Otherwise you will end up reproducing much of the code that has already been written to support IV
I drivers.

--Bankim
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,596 Views)
Actually one of my requirements is full interchangability. IVI sounds promising but many of the instruments I am using (Optical powermeters, Digital Communications Analyzers, Tunable Lasers) are not defined by IVI classes yet.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,596 Views)
Is your requirement full interchangeability for the features you use, or for all features of all instruments?

You can define your own classes, even if the IVI Foundation hasn't defined them yet. We (as in National Instruments) have in the past assisted developers in building their own class drivers, and there's no reason we wouldn't be able to help you out in that task.

The best step would be to contact us directly at instrument.driver@ni.com.

--Bankim

Bankim Tejani
Instrument Drivers/IVI
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,596 Views)
I think IVI is the way to go. I will contact you. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,596 Views)