cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending to a file that other(s) have open for read or wirte

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

The lab I work in is going to be using barcode readers to scan the equipment id for all of its test equipment at the start of each test. One the equipment is scanned several peices of information about the equipment will be appeneded to a file is uniquely named for the equipment is scanned. So over a period of time we can look at the various files and see when they equipment was used (by a date/timestamp) and where it was used.

So I need to be able to update a file that could be already open by others (either in read mode or write mode). So does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how I can append to a file that somene already has open for read?

Regards,

Kaspar
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,280 Views)
Instead of individual files where you might have to worry about who might and might not have them open, use a database.
Message 2 of 5
(2,272 Views)

Ok,

So what is a good suggestion for a database that labview can update?

Regards,

Kaspar
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,260 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kaspar
Access, SQLServer, MySQL, Oracle, and just about any other database can be used. I'm not sure about Oracle, but the others are included with MS Office, have a free version, or free. Access is suitable for a small number of users. The others are more robust and suitable for enterprises. NI sells the Database Connectivity Toolkit but there are several free alternatives.
Message 4 of 5
(2,258 Views)

Hello,

Thanks I will explore the database options. thanks

Regards,

Kaspar
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,255 Views)