cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-Spline Fit Lockup

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I've implemented the B-Spline fit function to find a normalization curve. With particular data sets, the program gets hung up in the library call to NI_AALPro.lvlib:B-Spline Fit _nD .vi and ctrl alt delete is the only way to escape. After changing the order of the polynomial fit or the number of control points it still gets hung up on the data set.

I'm running Labview 2009 with the full development package, version 9.0f2.

Is this user error? If not, does it look like a bug in the curve fitting routine? And does anyone know how to identify a problematic data set before the hang up occurs?

Attached is a sample of code with a data set that causes labview to lock up, so be sure you're saved up if you run it!

Thanks for looking!

-Bill

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,814 Views)

Hi BillView,

It has been proved to be a bug and we will fix it in our next release.

Thanks a lot for reporting this to us!

xearthl

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,789 Views)

I am using 8.6.2. With spline intepolation, it also locks up. Just want to know if this bug is fixed or not. Here is where it hangs. Any get-around solutions?

Thanks 

.LabViewSplineFitLockup

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,736 Views)

Hello,

This is filed under CAR #211011 and has not been fixed in any current releases. You can check the release notes for the CAR number to verify that is has been fixed with a particular relase.

-Zach

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,711 Views)

The error is caused by your last pair of points. It seems that the algorithm is waiting for another pair to compute the i'th B-Spline pair. If you don't use the last pair as showed in the snippet the vi will not hangup.

Ben64

B-Spline Hangup.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,696 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BillView

I looked more closely at your 2 last data points and found out that they have the same x value. By changing the last x value at the 6th decimal no hangup occur.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,694 Views)
Thanks Ben!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,653 Views)

A note for anyone stumbling across this...

It seems that you don't necessarily need a 1:1 data set, as long as the last two x data points don't match.  For example the data set in the attachment has 80 consecutive matching x values in the input array, but the only pair that the function gets hung up on is the last one.  

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,640 Views)

CAR 211011 has been fixed in LabVIEW 2010.  For more bug fixes please consult the LabVIEW 2010 Readme.

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,373 Views)