LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG LV 8.5: VirtuaWin (virtual desktops for Windows) LabVIEW don't refresh its windows

I using VirtuaWin (http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/) for more desktops in WindowsXP (aka Unix/Linux).

1. On one desktop (1) open blank VI (front panel and block diagram).

2. Switch to another desktop (Win+arrow)

3. Switch back to LabVIEW's desktop: all LabVIEW's windows are incorrect refreshed. You have to click to icon Show Desktop twice to refresh LabVIEW's windows.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,015 Views)

JCC (SK) wrote:

3. Switch back to LabVIEW's desktop: all LabVIEW's windows are incorrect refreshed.

What you mean by incorrect refreshed? Have you just saw such behavior once or can you able to reproduce it?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,009 Views)

mathan wrote:

JCC (SK) wrote:

3. Switch back to LabVIEW's desktop: all LabVIEW's windows are incorrect refreshed.

What you mean by incorrect refreshed? Have you just saw such behavior once or can you able to reproduce it?

Please, did you see my screenshot virtuawin01.PNG? - I expect that this is not correct behavior.

For text web browser user: LabVIEW's windows are include screens from preview virtual desktop or LabVIEW's active window is under unactive window but all control inside active windoes are active.

Yes, I am able to reproduce it every time when I switch back to LabVIEW's virtual desktop.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,001 Views)
I suspect that because LabVIEW windows are not like the windows created with MS tools, the author of VirtuaWin is not handling them correctly. For portability, NI uses it own window creation/management scheme. Not a bug in LabVIEW but a bug in VirtuaWin.
Message 4 of 11
(3,975 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:
I suspect that because LabVIEW windows are not like the windows created with MS tools, the author of VirtuaWin is not handling them correctly. For portability, NI uses it own window creation/management scheme. Not a bug in LabVIEW but a bug in VirtuaWin.

OK,

have do you  explain that all other application work in VirtuaWin without problems.

And when you two times click to ShowDesktop icon LabVIEW is well? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,955 Views)
All of your other applications probably were created with the Microsoft api. You cannot get a Windows (as in the OS) handle with a LabVIEW window because as I said, NI uses it's own windows (not referring to the OS) scheme. I'm doing some speculating here since I do not use this third-party app.
Message 6 of 11
(3,952 Views)

Thanks, Dennis.

I like to set up Windows to function similar to my Unix window manager with focus-follows-mouse and autoraise=false (using TweakUI).  But Labview windows do not respect those settings; if I move the mouse into any labview window, then *all* the labview windows are autoraised.   If NI are doing their own window management (why???) then it would make sense why this might not work (doesn't make me any happier about it, though).

JCC, I also use VirtuaWin.   A brute-force workaround is to go into (VirtuaWin)Setup->[Expert] and set "Force refresh After desktop change" (in the "Workarounds" pane below "Advanced Options").   It will slow down desktop switching if you have a lot of open windows, but it does appear to clean up the labview window problem.  

When I have more time I'd like to see if there is anything that can be set specific to the Labview window class to avoid this problem.

Best Regards,

-- J.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,759 Views)
Why? Because then 80% of the LabVIEW code is platform independent and you can easily have LabVIEW on Win, Mac, Linux
LV 2011, Win7
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,754 Views)

Of course.  That must be why all of my other multi-platform apps such as Firefox, Thunderbird, Acrobat, VNC,  Skype, Gimp, Wireshark, gVim, OpenOffice, Audacity, Realplayer -- *breath*-- aaaannnd Google Earth all have this same window manager problem.

Oh, wait.....what?..... you mean they don't?   😛 

Ok, granted, I'm sure it was probably necessary to do it that way years ago when Labview  and I were young.  But so many other apps handle it correctly (even Gimp with its multiple windows) that I'm disappointed (and a little frustrated at times) with LV.   Made up for, mostly, by all the wonderful whiz-bang things it *can* do and do well once the coding is done, but which would have been done sooner if I didn't have these !#^$(*^ other labview windows raising up and blocking the view of my specs and datasheets all the time....

-- J.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,749 Views)

Hi Jeff

I totaly agree with you.

The GIMP is very good example how to do it.

PF 2009 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,711 Views)